disadvantages to pulley kits?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

on the crank pulley for a honda there is a harmonic balancer which helps balance the bottom end. When you remove the crank pulley and put an aftermarket one on you lose this and have more wear on the engine assembly, for a couple horsepower. In my opinion its not worth it. Replace your ps and your alternator pulleys if you really want to.

harmonic balancer?do you have a pic,cuz i have a couple honda motors and they dont have one of those on there crank pulley's cuz i have both of them removed,anyways the disadvantage of a crank pulley kit=they cost money and hard to install...=)

the alt. pulley sucks too, had the AEM one go through 2 alternators in 4 months

thanks, some kid is just saying YOU SHOULD GET ONE. im like no. i didnt have the explanation in my head at the time why not.

don't bother, and the so called balancer is a small plastic like washer.

i can see how the pulley could put some strain on the alternator,cuz they are usually smaller diameter..but i dont see any balance problem(unless its a homemade pulley)..hehe wouldnt that be cool..

related question: I just installed my new ZC and the crank pulley is chipped. Must've happened during shipping. Anyway, should this cause problems? The chip is about 1cm³

If you want to make hp, then just disconect your powerstearing - much cheaper than buying a pulley for it. Pulley kits dont add that much anyways.

so, if i could get an unorthodoz crank pulley, new for $50. you say it's not worth it? and it'll fuck up my engine in the long run!?

Dont expect a big HP gain or anything you can feel! I didnt feel shit! If you have the extra cash might as well..

i think everybody is missing the point. pulleys don't MAKE horse power, they increase efficency. oh yeah, they look pretty too. i suggest you leave everything stock.

Back