disadvantages to pulley kits?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by JDMilan@Sep 20 2003, 08:21 PM
don't bother, and the so called balancer is a small plastic like washer.

I am pretty sure that this "balencer" is only in the newer Honda Motors! EX. K Series. I have a B series motor and I have removed dozens and never saw a so called balencer.

Not to start an arguement but this is bull. Show me a pic!!!!!
Do some of you guys pay people to install things how spread this garbage?

If anything the pulley itself is the balencer. On a B-Series.

I just got a new Unorthodox crank pulley for $65. I would not pay full price for one but $50 -$75 is not bad. You do pickup alittle power about 2-4 hp. So for $50 I would say go for it.

I absolutely WOULD NOT recommend using anything other then an OEM crank pulley. Please take the time to read the article posted.

Originally posted by gocivicls+Oct 31 2003, 07:18 PM-->
@Sep 20 2003, 08:21 PM
don't bother, and the so called balancer is a small plastic like washer.

I am pretty sure that this "balencer" is only in the newer Honda Motors! EX. K Series. I have a B series motor and I have removed dozens and never saw a so called balencer.

Not to start an arguement but this is bull. Show me a pic!!!!!
Do some of you guys pay people to install things how spread this garbage?

If anything the pulley itself is the balencer. On a B-Series.

yes.. the pulley is a balancer.. it is weighted to absorb vibration, and if i am not mistaken consists of an outer ring joined to the inner ring by a thin piece of rubber. It doesn't show up in my honda fsm, but i figure unless i cut my pulley in half, i wouldn't be able to see it.

my b series has no balancer i cut open my stock pulley a lightened pulley doesnt add too much hp but it takes wieght off the crank and your rev faster

jiahanhao is right...the pulley is weighted to balance out the vibes. i swapped a b16 into my del sol (may it R.I.P.) and was about to switch out the pulley intill a local swap shop told me about the balancing. i called the local honda dealership to try to buy a "separate" harmonic balancer and they gave me the same part number as the pulley. i asked them about it and they said it is all one intergrated part...the weight balances it out. now by putting a lighter pulley on, the vibrations will indeed mess up the engines. not today, not tomorrow, but eventually it will.

Honda B and D series have no harmonic balancer. They do have a SOLID crank pulley, no rubber, which is balanced, but no external balancing device (except maybe the flywheel).

The only safe way to use a lighten crank pulley or aftermarket one is to remove your crank shaft and have it balanced by a machine shop, just my 2 cents

if you must upgrade your pulley get the CTR N1 race pulley and have it balanced, other than that your wasting your time, shit if ericks doesn't use it I doubt you will need to for optimal gains/effeciency.

engines are balanced either internally, via crankshaft, or externally, via flywheel or harmonic balancer (common on older V8's)

Dumb question related to a comment about the power steering pulley. Someone on this post said "just disconnect your power steering, that is cheaper anyway." Now here is the question. If a car has an engine in it that was originally from a car that had power steering, but the current car does not, will it put more power down. For example if you put a GSR motor in a CRX w/o power steering, is that engine going to put more power out at the wheels than the GSR did with the same engine due to lack of power steering?

Peace*

Back