Disc Conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

P7ank5te7

Ok. Well, I know everyone will say search for the answers, but I've already done so and just want to recap for a sound piece of mind. To convert from drums to disc brakes, I need to get the trailing arms, hub assembles, e-brake cables, and prop valve from a 94-01 Integra or from an SI(except 99-up). I've read that I may want to look at getting the mc, and brake booster also, not to mention some steel braided lines, but is that a must or will it feel about the same? I know the braided lines are a must because the expansion of the rub lines. But I was also reading on honda tuning mag. they did a brake conversion and reused the hub and trailing arms. I take it that was a kit tho. Would a kit be easier and if so, does anyone know where they could be picked up for a decent price? If anyone can confirm I have the right idea and maybe give me a little inside before I go digging my self a hole and burying myself 6ft under(hahaha), I appreciate it. -Gary

I have the same setup on my hatch, as well as gsr's in the front. I got my stuff from a wrecked gsr so i swaped in all of the rear suspension components from the teggy. I am also running the gsr brake booster and master cylinder. I am running the stock brake lines no problem. I still have the dx proportioning valve because the gsr's is from an abs car and wont work. The brakes are biased to the front, but i don't mind it... it still has awesome braking power compared to the dx brakes or the brakes on my old 99 si.

Ok. but would it be ok to use the civic mc/bb with just a swapped prop valve? I did see that but everything I've read gets confusing. I'm not to worried about the swap on the back just up front. I know that tells alot of info and its a great source. The thing is I've read I can reuse the civic units with out problem other than needing a prop valve from the donor car provided its Non-ABS. I know the bigger master cylinder would give me more braking power. But you see where I'm getting confused? Thanks -Gary

Yes! its fine to use the civic mc/bb. Just don't expect to see the full potential of the swap!

I don't plan on it. The most braking the car gets is getting off the interstate and traffic ;) haha. But I mainly like disc brakes around, and the look. But when I get the chance to do the swap, I'll try it out with stock, then move up to the mc/bb if I feel that I need more braking power. But thanks for clarifying. -Gary

Good luck with the swap! Its a bitch

Be carefull taking apart the rear suspension. On both of the hondas I have ever owned the bolt linking the rear shock to the lower control arm has broken, and been an absolute pain in the ass to extract (case hardened bolts). The bolts rust together with the metal sleeve in the bushing making it extremely difficult to remove. When I broke thoes bolts I didnt have the tools (i.e. air hammer, cutoff wheel, torch) to get the busted bolts out, and ended up paying a shop a few hundred bucks to take them out.

Let the entire joint soak in pb blaster or something simmilar for a few hours. Trust me on this!

I would agree with 99sidude, these bolts are extremely prone to breaking. lots of penetrating oil

Hahaha. Thanks bro. I read that one too. Luckily I have access to a torch, air hammer, and press, not to mention 2 friends that I'm going to make help me ;).. Hahaha. They owe me so, plus they're good friends who will help me if I ask anyways. An extra set of hands always helps. Its probably for the best, at that point, to put in new struts to while its apart. What do you all think? -Gary

If you can afford it, get all the suspension stuff you plan done while your at it. It will save you time in the future, plus save you from paying for another wheel alignment when you take it apart again.

True True... I probably will. Its nice having friends everywhere so to speak. But when I get the green up, I'll probably do the full swap(mc/bb, prop, suspension,etc) just to knock it out. I don't need the full potential sense I'm not racing the car, but want the discs for looks mainly, but I also don't want to do a half @$$ed job either so. Just out of curiosity, I used to have a 87 Prelude Si with disc all around, and it would never hold on a hill very well with the e-brake. Do you experience this or should I expect to experience this when I swap? I know it was adjusted right but I don't know. -Gary

my e-brake holds a hill ok. My car's e-brake was pretty weak when the car was stock, and it is still about the same (if i pull it when the car is moving it won't lock up the wheels). The handle seems to have more slack in it tho (i have to pull it up further to engage it).

Back