Disconnected car battery; now car doesn't try to start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

elderfoster

I have a 1996 4cylinder Honda Accord LX. I've had it for 5 months without any problems, has had full maintenance once I got it without finding any problems.

I drove to San Francisco & the little yellow check engine light came on while I was driving up and down very steep hills. The engine sounded like it was struggling. I checked the oil and the oil was low and the oil dip stick had burned oil on the stick.

I added 1qt of oil and some gas, and then drove about 1hr to San Jose. In the morning, I checked the oil and it was below the minimum mark, but I still saw a bit of oil on the tip of the dipstick.

Now I added 1 more quart of 10W30 (instead of 5W30 because someone at Kragen's Auto told me if it is burning oil to use 10W30). The oil is full now but the light stays on.

Upon recommendation from a friend, I completely disconnected the car battery and turned on the interior lights to drain any left over electricity in the system. Then I reconnected the battery and tried to start the car - hoping that the check enigne light might reset, potentially indicating the car is okay.

However when I try to start the car, absolutely nothing happens. I turn the key and the lights come on, but the engine doesn't even try to start.

I haven't tested the battery, but it's a 5month old DieHard Gold and I'm pretty sure the battery is okay.

From what I've read on different websites, It may be interference with my anti-theft deterrent system. I read how it may think that someone is trying to steal the car so it won't let you start the car.

This is what I've managed to find out so far. Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks.

I bought the car used so i guess it has an after-market anti-theft device (there's a red flashy light under the left of the steering wheel). I went outside and pushed my remote access buttons to lock/unlock/lock/unlock the car doors and I heard a beeping noise that I've never heard before.

After that the car started just fine and the check engine light is not on. I only idled the engine for a bit and parked it on the street. In a bit I will drive it across town and hopefully the check engine light stays off.

Thanks for the tip it worked!

Back