Disconnecting the alternator for HP? Is it true

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

weirdman77

I heard that you can buy a switch and turn the connection on and off between alternator to gain about a 10-15 hp is this true has anyone tryed it because i was wondering if it works.

thanks
Weirdman

Simply "turning" it off won't do anything except drain you battery. On a drag car you can go without it because it isn't running very far. I think you are meaning remove the belt to lessen parasitic drain on the motor.

haha the person who told you that probably believes stickers add 5 horsepower also, if your lucky, you may free up 1, but no way in hell your gonna get 10-15

just get rid of power steering and a/c and get a single crankpulley to run your alternator

dont bother with the single pulley
its not going to give you much of a gain, but it will unbalance your engine

the OEM pulley acts as a harmonic dampener.... the weight dampens vibration and the pressed rubber(?) section also helps to dampen vibration

without it your engine will see additional stress from vibration... this will greatly reduce the lifespan of your engine

but as far as removing the AC and PS .... hell yeah ... rip all that shit out :)

i put a single pulley from jdm ctr on my b20b
its honda factory equipment.
i had to get a smaller belt to run my alternator.
you think the single pulley from honda could be damaging since
my engine is now unharmonically balanced ?

those pulleyas arent realy "OEM" equipment

honda uses them on their N1 cars

reliability and life span isnt really all that important to them.... as long as the car finishes the race they are happy... the engine is getting rebuilt anyway

so while it is a honda part ... it isnt really meant for daily driven street cars

some people use stuff like this and have no problems ... some people have lots of problems... its a roll of the dice

There are two things I've heard of ppl doing with pulleys that work relatively well:

1. Having PS + AC lobes machined off, then getting it rebalanced professionally. This works well (but is rather expensive - $50 to balance at my local machine shop of choice) because the pulley is still perfectly balanced, even though a lot of weight has been removed.

2. Taking an angle grinder to the stock pulley with someone holding the motor at about 2000 RPM. This works well because the pulley will balance itself nearly perfectly as you grind. One of the hybrid OGs I know (*cough* Adrian *cough* Teo) is rumored to be the original gangsta who used this method. (and is also someone who could give B a run for his money in a obsessive-compulsive-anal-retentive-about-my-car competition)

Back