distibutor maybe?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

ok, Ive had two other people agree with me that my timing is correct. I tried to set the ignition timing and I could not get it closer than about centimeter to where it should be. Is it possible that the distributor is on its way out? I adjusted the cam one tooth and it landed dead on the ignition timing, but its not as strong as it should be in the higher RPMs and it has a very choppy exhaust at idle. I jumped the connector that youre supposed to before you set ignition timing, cant think of anything else.....

Quoted post[/post]]
d15b6

It used to land on the marks just fine before I changed the timing belt.
:blink: huh. last time i'm heard some thing ike this was on a ladies d16z6 my friend was working on. He just couldn't get the timing right. Well turns out that the crank spun the key way on the crankshaft. hope thats NOT YOUR PROBLEM :eek:

with the timing in the correct position the car runs fine, it just idles like crap, like the EGR valve is always open or something. idle doesnt bounce either, just sounds like it. tach stays right on 750. :shrug2:

spun the key on the crankshaft? I did have the crankshaft pulley off, didnt think there was anyway for it or the cam to be on wrong in any way.

well then be glad thats not your problem:) i guess try another dizzy and see if that maybe your problem. I'll keep thinking. ohh what about plug wires? are they in pretty good shape?

Good wires, replaced them not long before this ordeal no more than 20k on them. my timing light is direct connect, so it is translating the spark right after the dizzy hits. (have to put the little coil in #1 spark plug spot on dizzy and connect it to the wire). I heard there was a way to adjust the distributor. that might be nice to know about.

yeah loosen the dizzy bolts. lossen the top one just a tad. enough to move forward and back. that retards and advances. double check with the gun and and tighten. there is a thread here somewhere where it tells you exactl how to do it

Ive done it several times, before the rebuild, just cant get it to work this time. Cant think of what I did to change anything when I took the nigine apart, unless there is something I could have knocked funny before I put the distibutor in, but i didnt think there was a way to put it in wrong

check the plugs...I accidently whacked an electrode when I put some new ones in (on a swap) once...took me a week to figure out what the hell was wrong

Back