Distributor and injectors on h22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I am building my h23vtec at the moment and am almost finished with it. I just have one question. Can i use my h23 distributor on my h22 head? The head was from an obd2 h22a4. and i have a p13 obd1 ecu for it. Also, will the obd2 injectors work? i was wondering because i read something about one being low impedence and one being high impedence? just wondering if it was true.

i was asking because on mad-psi.com (this guy did a write up of all the parts, one of the first h23vtecs) he said the part numbers were the same. do you know about the injectors?

thanks alot, how hard is an obd1 to obd2 swap then, because i have all the obd2 stuff, i'll just have to get my other ecu back out.

i'm not positive, but i believe when i checked it out before it was obd2b. is one harder than the other?

I cant think of a reason why one would be more difficult than the other.

i will say that if you have an obd1 ecu, you need to use the injectors for that ecu. If you are building and H22 and its using an obd1 ECU, you need to use low impedance (peak and hold) injectors. Something EVEN MORE IMPORTANT.

If you are doing an H23 VTEC, do NOT use a stock ecu. A P5M (OBD2), P5P (OBD2), P13 (OBD1) and P14 (OBD1) WILL ALL RUN LEAN AT HIGH RPMS.

If you are doing this build, grab a p28 (will disable the IAB control) or a P72 and get it chipped and tuned for your build. OBD2 swaps are not difficult, but its harder when you dont have the right tune for your engine. I would not suggest running OBD2 on this swap.

thanks alot.... that helps because i was going to use my p5m.... will a stock p28 work? or will i Have to get it tuned? i thought the stock h22 ecu ran the h23 vtec fine? obviously no one else realized this....lol. Also, if i used my p5m, would it work as long as i wasn't revving it through the roof all the time? i have all of my parts now, (except for the ecu it looks like) and am gonna have to save some money for a tune and new ecu. just wondering. let me know.

if you use the p5m, id recommend staying out of vtec. you MIGHT be okay, but id definitely wanna get it tuned as you are changing the compression, stroke and bore of the engine.

you will have to get the p28 chipped and tuned for your h23 vtec (because its originally for a d16z6) but, in the end its the best way to go. Dont quote me on this, but i think you have to switch to a low impedance injector if you use the p28. If you use the p5m, youll definitely need high impedance (saturated) injectors or the car will never start.

Back