Distributor Re-Pinning Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TunerToys

Hey Guys,

We are getting ready to make the switch to OBD1 for our CRX MiniMe Project. It currently has an A6 Block with a Y8 Head, and is running an unmodified OBD0 Distributor. In switching to OBD1, I have to ditch the OBD0 distributor and move to OBD1 or OBD2. Since the head is an OBD2 Head, I figured I would just get the D16Y8 Distributor (TD08 I believe), since it will install right into the head without modifying the ears.

In doing the research on this, there seem to be two different distributors for this engine code, one for the OBD2a and another for the OBD2b. The D16Y8 was available from 1996-2000, and the one from 1996-1998 is obd2a and the 1999-2000 is obd2b.

RyWire has adapter sets for converting OBD2b to OBD1, but nothing for converting OBD2a to OBDAnything. So because they don't offer it, I am assuming there is an easier way to do the mod. Either that or it's not possible at all.

So I am hoping (and this is where I need your experience) that I can re-pin an OBD2a Y8 Distributor, to my OBD0 harness. And I'm thinking that all I'll need are OBD0 connector bodies for the OBD2a distributor.

Am I on the right track, or am I just being an idiot?

Craig

Back