Divulging how much you make to coworkers...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

My 2nd day on the job, a coworker asks me how much I make. Flat out...

Him: How much are they paying you?

Me: None of your fucking business, retard.

Him: Oh come on man, I don't care... I'm making $14/ hr.

Me: If you don't care, don't fucking ask.

Him: Geeze man, I was just as...

Me: I make $21.75 an hour.

Him: ...

I walk away. Later that day, I hear from a few other coworkers that he's going around telling everyone I make $21.75 an hour. So here's my dillemma..

1) Say nothing and work next to the guy.
2) Yell at him, telling him that the reason I said $21.75 was to see if he'd run his mouth and that it's obvious that I can't trust him with even the most basic of facts.
3) Yell at him in front of my boss, telling him I can't trust him, and then telling my boss that I demand a bay change because I refuse to work next to someone as dishonest as him or I quit (my resume is impressive and they almost begged me to work there).
4) Have fun with it and tell him crazy shit that makes him look like a retard to whoever he tells. IE: "I drove a UPS truck through a FedEx building."
5) #3 and #4.

numero 4!!

and on a side note, i just got a raise today. im making a whopping $9.15/hr. i got a 4.525 out of a 5 on my evaluation. i know i dont make shit compared to you all but its not too bad considering all i do is walk around all damn day picking books....LOL

Or #6....

Put "out of order" signs on the doors of all but one of the toilets in the guys bathroom, then give him some laxatives in his coffee or pop and then put glue on the toilet seat.

Then after he's been freed by the emergency workers, go around and tell everyone about it.

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Oct 2 2003, 11:08 PM

Put "out of order" signs on the doors of all but one of the toilets in the guys bathroom, then give him some laxatives in his coffee or pop and then put glue on the toilet seat.

Then after he's been freed by the emergency workers, go around and tell everyone about it.

I with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is illegal, at least in the state of connecticut, to discuss wages with anyone other than your direct boss. Technically, he broke the law.

i make it a point not to tell anyone what i make. i told one guy i worked with and he promptly asked for a raise..then when he didnt get it, he quit :( he was a great worker too.

that whole situation sucks
I've never had to deal with it at work because people just disregard me cause I'm an "intern" although I make the equivilent of 40k a year

my prob was when I got the job a bunch of my friends kind of had some resentment toward me because I was getting paid almost twice as much as them and then I'd always get comments like "that shouldn't be a problem for you" or "if I can afford it then you deffinately can" or "can you pick up the tab?"
it got old, I didn't even tell them that I made that much but my parents told one of my friends parents and then he found out and then everyone else did

I'd say fuck with the guy and just ruin his credibility

Its no ones business how much your personal salary is. I would confront him and tell him that he should learn to keep his mouth shut. Obviously you cannot trust this assmonkey due to the fact that he is already swinging from your nuts trying to get personal info out.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 2 2003, 09:01 PM
it is illegal, at least in the state of connecticut, to discuss wages with anyone other than your direct boss. Technically, he broke the law.

same here in cali

i dont know how long this guy that cant shut up has worked there for, or how well liked he is but i would definatly pick #4. If you're gonna give him a bs story, tell the rest of the office BEFORE you tell him the bs. this way when he goes to tell them what he has heard from you, he looks like a real, . . gullable dickface and everyone will laugh at him. go for it, fuck with him.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Oct 2 2003, 10:58 PM
My 2nd day on the job, a coworker asks me how much I make. Flat out...

Him: How much are they paying you?

Me: None of your fucking business, retard.

Him: Oh come on man, I don't care... I'm making $14/ hr.

Me: If you don't care, don't fucking ask.

Him: Geeze man, I was just as...

Me: I make $21.75 an hour.

Him: ...

I walk away. Later that day, I hear from a few other coworkers that he's going around telling everyone I make $21.75 an hour. So here's my dillemma..

1) Say nothing and work next to the guy.
2) Yell at him, telling him that the reason I said $21.75 was to see if he'd run his mouth and that it's obvious that I can't trust him with even the most basic of facts.
3) Yell at him in front of my boss, telling him I can't trust him, and then telling my boss that I demand a bay change because I refuse to work next to someone as dishonest as him or I quit (my resume is impressive and they almost begged me to work there).
4) Have fun with it and tell him crazy shit that makes him look like a retard to whoever he tells. IE: "I drove a UPS truck through a FedEx building."
5) #3 and #4.

depending on how serious you take your job....

The professional thing to do would just to forget about it.

It was HIGHLY unprofessional of that co-worker to ask you how much you make.
That information should be privvy only to you and your immediate boss.

I say drop it.

Then come in next week with a black ski mask, trench coat, ak-47 and show him how you TRUELY feel about him blabbing his mouth :lol:

the other part of being "professional" would be to take the guy aside, and tell him that you do not appreciate him running his fat mouth about how much you make.

most of the time, people are afraid of interpersonal confrontation, and in this case that is all you will likely need to do in order to put him in check. :D

that is unless you work at some shit-factory job and you could care less about your resume and being profesional...

then beat the living shit out of that fucker :lol:

if i could post whore for another second....

if this situation ever arises in the future again, dont feel as if you HAVE to tell him otherwise he wont think you are "cool".

think politician:

deftly walk around the question in the future and change the subject. come up with a smart ass remark (that is not offensive, but direct enough for him to get the hint that you are not fucking around) or something clever.

INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION SKILLZ Y0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can mean the difference between getting that 10,000 dollar a year raise and having "director of excrement cleanup in men's bathroom" tacked onto your job description :D

just thought of another..kinda like a F&F thing:

guy: so how much do you make an hour?
you: more than you make, pal, hard work-er!!

Back