DIY c-pillar bar

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eyesonlybob

well...im kinda getting into the diy craze. and i didnt want to spend $160 on a c-pillar bar....so i decided to make my own. total cost was $46. and thats only because i had to buy 8 feet of the piping. they didnt sell a 4 ft section. other wise it would have been about $13 cheeper.

s3f5bab8041ebf.jpg

s3f5bab6cef433.jpg

i need to make new mounts for them. i had to drill...a couple holes before they fit. and the metal i used for the mounts already had a hole in them.

make new mounts + paint black = nice diy. comments?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: to you. But what is that bolted to?? It looks like its bolted to the plastic and thats it? How easy was it to get that thing bolted to the chassis?

ya, its aluminum.

it uses the rear seat belt bolt. which goes into the chassis.

Sweet, if you get a chance could you get a closer pic of your mounting bracket? Its looks very good btw.

Never heard of a C pillar bar. but a'ight. Good job, looks professional

:thumbsup: :worthy: :worthy:

put some padding on it- in case you have some rear passengers... you don't want them banging heads on that thing

:werd: I have a roll bar, and yeah I rode in the back seat, and under harsh braking(my brother got a lil turn happy) and yeah your face gets close to that, so I know for a fact whoever sits in the back will get owned by the bar.

for the mounts i used 5" angle brackets.

s3f5ce5127a134.jpg

overlaped them and this is how the mount works:

2 washers on each side

s3f5ce520d949f.jpg

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 8 2003, 01:00 AM
put some padding on it- in case you have some rear passengers... you don't want them banging heads on that thing

i dont like giving people rides, so now i have an excuse not to.

Looks very clean. I wouldn't paint it but that's my opinion.

I have those pieces laying around my shop. What did it take---15-20 minutes to do once you had the stuff?

Have you noticed any difference in the handling it all?

i like this alot and i think i will do it to my car simply for the cleanly appearance and the cheapness. two thumbs up to you but my only sugestion to get more rigidniss out of it is to weld the bracket together where they overlap i think ot would provide for alot more solid of a mount

Originally posted by driver1@Sep 9 2003, 02:12 AM
BTW whats the diy stand for?

Do It Yourself.

You know, there is an edit button, where you can go into a previous post and add or subtract statements/questions instead of having three back to back post.

nice afro engineering. working on structural repair everyday i have a hard time believing your going to have flex in your c pillar, anyone have any tests or firsthand experiance with either strut tower or pillar movement?

i got the aluminum at lowes, but im sure home depot would have it.

i might weld the bracket together. but if im gonna weld, i might even make new brackets.

it actually took me close to 2 hours. i took my time and still made mistakes with the holes.

the bars really rigid. i cant say i noticed much because i havent driven it often lately, and i just added a itr rear sway. strut bars dont change too much, and i didnt expect this c-pillar bar to be notice able, but im sure it reinforced the c-pillars.

when i have more time, im gonna venture into making a front strut bar like the carping one that attaches to the struts and firewall. also try to replicate the type r rear sway bar.

thanks for the comments guys.

Trying to replicate the sway bar could be difficult and potentially dangerous.

I, too, figured I could bend a solid steel bar the right way, fabricate some brackets & buy bushings to fit. I talked to a friend that builds circle track cars. He advised it isn't that easy. You have to get the right kind of steel, after bending it have some way to strengthen the metal that was weakened in the bending process, & make damn sure the endlink connection is a strong one.

If you do all that right you get to thrash it thinking "I hope that thing doesn't break" the whole time. Of course, you may still be young enough that thought would never cross your mind but I know I couldn't race thinking a central part of the suspension may break at any moment.

But....that's me.

Back