DIY lower tie bar

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ahedau

I made a lower tie bar for the rear of my EG civic. I saw the set-up on another web page and duplicated what they did. The 1" solid bar was scrap so the only cost was longer bolts for the lower control arms.

Its probably mind over reality but it seemed to really hold the rear end in place. I was doing some very spirited slalom driving on wet roads and the rear never even tried to break free. I gained enough confidence to concentrate on building/maintaining speed rather than pussyfooting waiting for the rear end to jump around.

Has anyone else installed one? Could you tell a big difference too or is it all in my head.

heck yeah!!

1. remove LCA bolts
2. cut bar to length (EG=28 1/2")
3. mark LCA mounting holes (EG=26 3/16" on center----I think)
4. drill holes using a drill press.
5. Buy grade 8, 10X1.25X120mm bolts and four 1/8" flat washers
6. install new LCA bolts in this order:
a) bolt head
B) bar
c) two washers (per side)
d)sub-frame
7. Lots of patience to start new bolts torqued to OEM spec (per haynes, 40ft/lbs)
8. have fun but don't blame me for torn sub-frames or if you don't measure your own application

pics?

i just purchased a comptech sway/lower tie combo so i can't dyi my lower tie bar, but i would like to make a rear upper strut bar.
any hints for that?

I have to remove it to install the sway bar b16 is sending me. I'll take pics then. I have KYB AGX w/ GC coil overs on the rear w/ the lower tie bar and it is tight.

I have never contemplated an upper bar but I found several for less than $20 on e-bay. For that price, buy one someone made and save yourself the trouble.

on Team-integra.net they have the DIY Article. I plan on making it pretty soon.

To ahedau, this style bar is made for one purpose, functionality. The shitty DC bars which cost 100+ do nothing but "look cool" They suck, they flex, they are a peice of shit. Also, for strut bars, the $20 ones blow. They are for apperance only. Take a turn fast and your going to have a bar that can be used for a bow and arrow.

This thread is worthless without pics.

:ditto:

they're 20 bucks for a reason. I had one on my integra, and it was so flexible it felt like i was pulling on a piece of wooden board.

asmallsol: you think you can copy&paste the article?

sure but not today, there immages are down and as jeff said, this thread is worthless without immages.

my 40 dollwr bars have yet to bend and i have stod on the front before

that is not the same force the car puts on them. the chassis twists and the bars do shit to stop it unless u have the 6 pt rear trunk brace that is just fucking badass.

this thread IS worhtless w/o pics... and i dont have one of the thing im talking about :(

I have a big ass thick rear under tie bar. It gets the job done. I used to swing out back end a lot, and now with it, the back end stays snug to the pavement. I payed 40 bucks installed, got it off my poor buddy that owns cc bills.

I have been looking for a good front under tie bar and a rear strut bar, but I cant' find any for under 100 that are worth it.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Aug 5 2003, 12:04 AM
sure but not today, there immages are down and as jeff said, this thread is worthless without immages.

its images :p

but yeah. needs some pics!!

its 98% in your head.

the idea behind the tie bar is to re-enforce the rear subframe to prevent from tear-out caused by large/stiff rear sway bars. the tie bar itself does relatively nothing in terms of bracing the car, as it only ties together two solid points pretty close together. again, you might notice a LITTLE stiffness gained, and there's your 2%

since we are on the dyi subject, anyone know if those dyi trunk braces work? it connects two points, one on each side of the ditch for the spare?

how bout those braces that goes on the edge of your trunk and the trunk lid (hatch for my case)?

they all look relatively easy to make but I dunno if its worth the effort. Is this all in the head too?

Yea, they do a little bit, again as b said, it really is all in your head. However, the type R comes with them so they must be good :lol:

Just make them out of steal. My freind has one of them made out of steal and one made out of aluminum, and the aluminum is flimsy as hell.

don't they make kits to re-enforce the sway bar mounts to prevent tear? I was planning on picking up a sway soon, and sub frame tear would really ruin my day.

Back