DIY lower tie bar

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

on the raer of the car, the rear lca's mount to the body of the car, and thats about it. its almost like glude in place, and not really attached to anything else. its just sheet metal.
a strong sway bar on a hard corner can pull the mounting points right off the car.

what sucks the most is that there's no way to fix this really... its part of the shell of the car.

actually you can fix it, it just takes alot of skill and a bit of money.

:looks for the post on TI but can not find it) the guy had subframe tearout with his Skunk2 bar

He went to a body shop and they welded a peice of metal to the subframe and it fixed his problem. Now he is running the comptech bar and has had no probs

ah found them

tearout1.zoom.jpg

Tear out yo!

tearfixed1.jpg

Repaired Yo!

tearfixed2.jpg

skunk2vsStockswaybar2.jpg

The calprit

IT integra...yeah thats where I got this from!!!

here's the link but the pix still don't work

Team Integra

The Beaks and BSQ kits look like shims that spread the load over a broader section of the sub-frame to *reduce* the risk of tearing. The only thing that would *eliminate* it would be drive like a civilized person.

keep checking that site for pix. I'll get some when I install the sway

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Aug 5 2003, 11:16 PM
is there any way to eliminate it? does the comptech bar have a superior design??

There is always a possiblity but products like the beaks and the BSQ kit help to almost eliminate it. Not sure if you can use these kits with not ITR sways but I would call the companys first.

The Comptech is what I would buy If I had $150 to spend, which I do not. Hell, I'd get the complete kit 22mm swaybar, solid rod ends for end links, poly bushings, the billet aluminum tie bar all all the bolts needed.....$399 + shipping!!

As mentioned their lower tie bar is billet aluminum and it covers the entire subframe for additional strength. I think this is as close as your going to get to finding a way to eliminate the chances of tearing your sub-frame.

IMHO, well worth the $ if you have it to spend.

hmm it seems like if you just had some 1/4 inch steel plates welded to reinforce the monut points it would do much better. I wonder then if it would rip the sheet metal where the weld was?

The major reason why the subframe tears out is because there is too much force on a small area instead of the same force spread out to the rest of the subframe. This is why the beaks kit is aluminum, not high strength at all but It does its job, spreading out the force.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Aug 5 2003, 08:41 PM

and notice how hes not running a rear sway anymore either, lol.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Aug 9 2004, 05:16 PM-->
still waiting for pics of this collin... its only been a year :)
[post=374455]Quoted post[/post]​

dammit, Now I have to read the whole tread over again to find out what your talking about....

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Aug 9 2004, 06:23 PM
asmallsol
@Aug 5 2003, 08:41 PM

and notice how hes not running a rear sway anymore either, lol.
[post=374476]Quoted post[/post]​

I have a rear sway. 22mm yo! I also have a 24mm up front now, and stiff springs. Stock springs with a thick rear sway will kill the subframe.

Also, there are other ways to fix it.

In this thread, the subframe was destoryed so what they did was removed it from another car, and welded it back on...

HT thread
this guy designed a BAD ASS tie bar/subframe reinforcement/Relocation of sway bar bushings THING. Its pricy, around 500 for the entire package with an ITR swaybar and everything you need to mount it. It uses a much better place to mount the swaybar bushings because if it does rip out, then you only destory the Tie bar/subsititue subframe, and that thing is a lot stronger then the stock subframe.

Your not totally safe just using a Kit like the Beaks. Here is a Pic as you can see of an ITR sway with a beaks kit w/ a peice of the subframe....
ouch5.jpg

and here is the subframe...
ouch2.jpg

I am not 100% sure of the sercomestances (My spelling sucks), but my best guess about this case it the person was using stock springs. The swaybars basicly act like stiffer springs, however, do not effect the ride. With stiff enough springs, you can basicly run without them and have a true indepent suspension, however the ride is unbareable.

<time to read the thread again....

Alright, it only took a year to get the pics. Here is a pic of it. Agian all credit goes to Team-integra.net. This is there picture. for more info go to the link the one guy posted. To veiw, you will have to register.

stocksway01.jpg

Edited like 4 times now lol. Please do not bring up dead threads :banned: Pissedoffsol! Whats with people bringing up super old threads. Someone IM'ed me on HT about help on an essay for a scholarship. Basicly said fuck no, do it yourself. Plus I wouldn't be any help since I didn't even win that one.

oh hell, even if this is an old (revived...) thread, I can still ask, all that damage looks like it was due to big bars. What about using a 94 integra ls rear bar (14mm) on a 93 civic with H&R sports?? Will that be safe? I dont want to tear out my subframe.... :blink:

almost every performance mod *may* damage your car... :sad:

Originally posted by asmallsol@Aug 9 2004, 10:32 PM

I am not 100% sure of the sercomestances (My spelling sucks)
[post=374478]Quoted post[/post]​

you're damn right it does....you butchered the hell out of that word :lol:

Originally posted by commador@Aug 9 2004, 07:59 PM
oh hell, even if this is an old (revived...) thread, I can still ask, all that damage looks like it was due to big bars. What about using a 94 integra ls rear bar (14mm) on a 93 civic with H&R sports?? Will that be safe? I dont want to tear out my subframe.... :blink:

almost every performance mod *may* damage your car... :sad:
[post=374512]Quoted post[/post]​

A 14mm one is fine. Your car's subframe is basicly the exact same as that. The ITR has a diffrent subframe then your EG's or DC's. It is thicker and can withstand a 22mm bar.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Aug 9 2004, 06:32 PM
Pissedoffsol! Whats with people bringing up super old threads. Someone IM'ed me on HT about help on an essay for a scholarship. Basicly said fuck no, do it yourself. Plus I wouldn't be any help since I didn't even win that one.

umm ok... lol

i stumbled upon the thread looking up tear out, and noticed that you said you would have pics tomorroow.... and its been a year. this thread is like my swap process in time. :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Aug 10 2004, 12:29 AM-->
asmallsol
@Aug 9 2004, 06:32 PM
Pissedoffsol! Whats with people bringing up super old threads. Someone IM'ed me on HT about help on an essay for a scholarship. Basicly said fuck no, do it yourself. Plus I wouldn't be any help since I didn't even win that one.

umm ok... lol

i stumbled upon the thread looking up tear out, and noticed that you said you would have pics tomorroow.... and its been a year. this thread is like my swap process in time. :)
[post=374620]Quoted post[/post]​

lol, I had a brain fart there and didn't finish my other story. I made a thread on HT about a year and a half ago about scholarship essays. That would have made that little story make more sence.

Back