DIY: My $50 paint job

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

could you still post pics of the aftersand even though you're getting it sprayed.

oh, i'll still be posting pics of everything.. i just havent done anything else.. haha.. painting it next weekend

its basically the same process... instead of rolling, its sprayed, the prep work is the same.. but much easier on my arms since i have to sand just a little bit less since i wont have high and low spots from rolling..

I sprayed my old boat with a basic equivalent to rustoleum just a little but better quality oil paint and it looked good until you got upclose. I didn't sand it so you saw soem orange peel but overall it looked pretty good for a spray job with cheap paint. It held up in the salt water, docked at an ocean marina all summer and the only wash it got was from the rain. I bet it will come out pretty good with a wet sand.

I sprayed my old boat with a basic equivalent to rustoleum just a little but better quality oil paint and it looked good until you got upclose. I didn't sand it so you saw soem orange peel but overall it looked pretty good for a spray job with cheap paint. It held up in the salt water, docked at an ocean marina all summer and the only wash it got was from the rain. I bet it will come out pretty good with a wet sand.

Got a brand name for that paint ? Might be better than Rustoleum, since all the searching I have done. I have found no one that can prove this paint method last for years.

Would you clear coat over the rustoleum after you paint the car eg6sir?

I gotta' say careful w/ the clear coat. I rustoleum rattle-can flat-blacked my sunroof panel, but it stood out too much so I went back & threw on some clear. Now it really looks like crap & I've got rings from leaving drinks up there while working on the car.

& what's better than my trusty rustoleum?

well, gonna head over there to do this shit here in about an hour..

oh yea.. loads of fun man .. we'll probably hit a couple of coats today, let it dry over night in his garage and hit 2 more tomorrow and call it good.. we wont need much more than that since its sprayed on

oh how I envy you right now, I want my car painted, for cheap and no work required , but primer grey it stays , I dont have the time to roll and sand, I think I might just take it to macco or sum shit. But take some pics for us !

definitely taking pics.. but i went to Maaco.. but they told me $800.. i laughed in there face and left.. so much being advertised for $299

get the fuck out of here, I was thinking , like 2-300 tops from them , 800? why not the advertised price ?

After you take it to maaco it will cost twice as much just to fix their mistakes

800 is a cheap paint job. Anything that will look good will be about 2 grand

well, i just got home.. been over there all day. i got the fenders sanded down and mounted and the new from bumper mounted.. my buddy fixed the dents above the doors.. it was raining all day so we never got around to painting.. its supposed to be sunny and a bit warmer tomorrow, if so it'll get painted ...

i didnt get any pics of while we were doing anything.. i forgot the camera at home.. i'll take pics tomorrow though of what we did today

Comin' around man, Looks good ..... You've inspired me. The ranger is gonna get a couple coats of flat white.

kinda hate to ask...but did you have any pics of your paintjob prior to the car getting stolen? :(

Back