DIY turbo - thats presentable

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

coop

I've seen the 'home-made' (diy) turbo kits mentioned here various times, and many people have brought up the same idea of the manufactured kits being a ripoff. Well there are a few customers I see on a regular basis (and one employee) that have setups put together in someone's garage, and they all look like crap. Example: EG6 D16/Turbo, 1st gen TSi AWD w/"custom" tubing, both of which look like crap and have been smoked by my (stock) Si.
Obviously the two cars I mentioned, well, suck, but I was wondering how many people have built their own setup and actually turned up something that not only performs, but looks decent as well (like, no exhaust clamps holding it together, that kinda thing).

uhoh.jpg

I made mine from a DSM mani, EVO3 turbo, made all the piping and tuned it me-self :)

Did you have the pipes bent, or do it yourself? I don't have a tubing bender, but there's a few shops in the area that'll do it at a decent price if you give them the specs.
I'm still checkin my options, I was considering an n/a setup, but that grille in the bumper just begs for an i/c.

Did you have the pipes bent, or do it yourself? I don't have a tubing bender, but there's a few shops in the area that'll do it at a decent price if you give them the specs.
I'm still checkin my options, I was considering an n/a setup, but that grille in the bumper just begs for an i/c.

You dont even need a pipe bender. all you need is a couple u bends and straights and cut/weld. Id say about 3 u bends an 2 straights, couplers, and you should be allright. Its not that hard.

Check out my setup. https://hondaswap.com/auto-multi-media/my-1200-turbo-project-might-56k-friendly-74627/

IM runnning a turbonetics t3/t4 57 trim turbo, tial wastegate and BOV, 2 1/2 charge pipes, 2 1/2 exhaust and a cheap drag manifold,walbro fuel pump, 450cc injectors, all for under $1400.
Thats half the price of a drag kit, and its the same exact shit.

Im also using crome for tuning. Its a must when running the dsm's 450.

Good LUck

I built 2 turbo kits so far. the 2nd time around I bought a new turbo, lines, manifold, and custom ic piping w/ couplings all together from threadstone.
Photo-0085.jpg

Sleeper FMIC that I got from a friend
Photo-0077e.jpg

I spent about $2000 including new RC 440cc & crome chip. I fab the Downpipe and dump tube myself! I got the BOV and Waste that i had on the side from my crix! But if it wasn't for the new turbo and mani I think it would of been alot cheaper! But hey i dont got to worry about it leaking anytime soon!:D

Last edited:
Back