DIYgroup "short and easy"

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm really sorry about the 2nd thread/ same subject, but everyone has so many questions and PM's that I just rewrote it shorter and easier. So here.

Founded in RI and now with members nationwide, we are a group committed to uniting the “true†enthusiasts in the automotive and motorcycling industry- the DIY’ers (Do-It-Yourself). Whether your sport is street, track, audio systems or all out show, we want to bring together everyone who does their own work on their vehicle. Although not many are skilled in every field as long as you do the work that you can, with the tools, knowledge and experience that you have, then we encourage you to join. We accept all cars, trucks/SUV, and motorcycles, and we do not favor “imports†or “domesticsâ€, we are together because we share the same pride in our work.

Now this is NOT a club. A “club†is a bunch of friends or enthusiasts that you hang out and ride with. A “group†is a large combination of both clubs AND individuals. Our “group†is not replacing a club in any way. By being a member with us you are getting credit and respect from others by displaying to them that you are a do-it-yourselfer.

Why? In this industry there are many people who “pay†to win. When any DIY’er talks about their vehicle, they always make it a point to state that they did it themselves, because it is respected. We are simply trying to just make one nationwide group that will draw immediate recognition to the owner of the vehicle when the DIYperformance name is seen. If you do not do your own work, it is not our intention to insult you. If anything, we hope to inspire you to start learning. After all, what’s the point of having a hobby if you don’t participate in it? If you have not yet done any modifications but have all the intention to do your own work, then please contact us. You may even find other members in your area who will be happy to guide you, because we respect each other for our efforts.

There is nothing you need to do for this group except tell people about it so we can grow. Your participation is all up to you, so if you’d only like to say that you’re a part of it, then leave it at that. If you wish to help in any way, then so be it. The larger we grow, the more recognized the name will be. We do urge you to pass this letter on to anyone you feel would be interested. Most people feel more comfortable coming into this group with a friend anyways.

What to do: send an email to DIYperformancegroup@yahoo.com. Tell us who you are, what you drive, your current and future mods, and city/state. You will get a welcome letter further explaining any details, and will be updated with newsletters. We also eventually will have a website.

personally, i dont really think anyone cares about this.

the group of people i hang around with and race with are DIYers but everone who we race with and hang out with know that anyway. its known that we always do our own work and help each other out (thanks, airjockie!!) and its known on the local autocross track that this year will be a year for us.

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Mar 3 2004, 12:04 AM
personally, i dont really think anyone cares about this.

the group of people i hang around with and race with are DIYers but everone who we race with and hang out with know that anyway. its known that we always do our own work and help each other out (thanks, airjockie!!) and its known on the local autocross track that this year will be a year for us.

Tell that to everyone who signs up because they feel the way I feel.

It's good to know that you and your friends do all your own work, but I'm trying to let everyone know this for you. I'm not looking for peoples opinion on this because I know what I'm doing and if I didn't have people signing up everyday (no bullshit) since I started this then I wouldn't have pursued the idea any further. If you want to give me feedback, just PM me and we'll talk. Leave the forum for questions please.

I guess I was inspired by the fact that having your friends know that you DIY is one thing, but getting a group so popular that every event or everyone who passes and looks over your car in a parking lot respects you for it and knows, means alot to some of us. And it should mean alot to all of us.

Yours friends know that you DIY- great. But who are you when you leave your friends house? Because as far as anyone knows, your just someone with mom's checkbook. And we always get classified that way...

"If i win, I take the cash and I take the respect.... to some people, that's more important"

=)

it's a good idea, per say, i just, well, don't find it remotely useful.

frankly, i think the other way- i see a kid in a honda with a body kit- i think e works at mcdonalds and is trying.
i see a kid in a boosted honda, and i think, cool deal- another gear head like me.
i see a punk in an escilade, and i just shrug it off- whatever.

i dunno...

:withstupid:

check out the NE forum on this board. there are posts and pics of all my current installs. so much for having mommy's checkbook.

First of all don't ever quote that fast and furious shit with me!!! I've been building hot rods since I was 14 with my father- we never took anything to a shop except for paint. I am NOT a post fast and furious poseur like so many. Now 11 years later, I'm on the 3rd car of my own.

2nd- turbo mirage... did you read what I said? I'm not accusing you of mommys checkbook, I know you do your own shit- no need to show me proof. What I said was that you'll get judged anywhere, that's how people are unfortunatley.

And last, I can't believe nobody is nuetral with this. Everyone who asks me either signs up with no problem, or won't because their so scared to try something new. All you do is sign up and be a part of it. If not, maybe one day you'll be next to someone who is, and they're getting the attention.

If you are a "true" enthusiast, which not most but many of you are, then just help out this idea and support your scene- this idea will benefit YOU, the DIY'er. That's all. Either way, we're not going away!!! DIYperformance has been my local car "club", we just decided to invite anyone who fits into this and try and one day change the way the industry see's the non-spoiled rich enthusiast.

im all set.

i doubt there will be a group of mirage owners with you anyway. i would give you the link to my board, but you would probably get flamed and one of us mods would more than likely lock the post anyway.

Whatever. Why don't you think a Mirage driver would be any different from any other driver? What do you think I only have hondas in the group? This is for anyone- even motorcycles- and we've got a good variety.

i dont think they are any different.

its just that the odds of meeting another mirage tuner in your group, are slim to none.

Well I respect you for picking up a very unpopular car to modify. That's one of the greatest parts of this sport is seeing something like an altima smoke an integra! Never judge!!! Keep up, and maybe one day I'll hear back from you. Good luck at the tracks.

unpopular?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

the USDM mirage = JDM lancer and lancer evo. its just AS popular as a civic. aftermarket is cheaper, and my motor runs the car much faster.

Sorry, I don't know mitsu's. I see mirage's and lancers here, didn't figure that the JDMs' would give us 2 versions of the same car. But I know the lancer is sick, so I'm sure the Mirage is just as. The only mitsu's I know are the eclipse obviously, and one of my all time favorite cars on the road- the diamante. I always wanted to make an audio show car out of a diamante, they're gorgeous.

they arent bad.

mitsu markets the lancer as a FWD 1.5 sohc/dohc, or 1.8 sohc. all 3 motor types have a MiVEC option (vtec basically). the EVO is the awd version, but there are a few 4g lancer cc hatchies with awd, and a good number of stateside 3g colt (mirage) awd turbo hatches.

First of all don't ever quote that fast and furious shit with me!!!

it was a joke. hence the =)

If you are a "true" enthusiast, which not most but many of you are, then just help out this idea and support your scene- this idea will benefit YOU, the DIY'er.

wouldn't that make it a Do It with a Group'er?

I mean truely, if you did it yourself, you wouldn't want help from others, nor share help.

I dunno... I don't need a "club" or other affiliation to let others know I did the works with me and my friends.

Besides, I'm world famous =) search for pissedoffsol on google. lol

I knew it was a joke, but I still had to state that!

And that's cool, not everyone thinks it's a big deal to have people know they DIY, but alot of people like the idea and want the credit.

And to be 100% DIY is nearly impossible unless you want your car not to run. But if you can 100%, then awesome. I had a Pontiac Sunfire sign up today that took his own hood and cut it to make a cool shape for the lights and then painted it himself. He also builds is own car amplifiers! So it's not impossible, but very rare that you can do it all. But alot of people I'm talking to would rather try it themselves and ask help from another DIY'er, hence why I ask if you want to share your email address with other members.

But thanks for not flaming me guys. Some sites just can't PM. If you don't like the idea fine, don't join. But don't flame, right? I had a guy on another forum try to tear me up because he can't do any of his own work. That's why in the updated version I list "we're not trying to insult non diy'ers, but encourage to start learning"...

Later guys. And thanks for the mits' info TurboM

My offer of the sponsorship by HonkeySpeed Lowering Blox® still stands.

This post has been brought to you by HonkeySpeed, proud manufacturer of HonkeySpeed Lowering Blox® "We'll make your shit lower than your IQ."™

Back