DMV etiquette......

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
Yup....I guess it's time I spill my secrets...

no secret really, but I always just get buzzed thru the lines, up to the counter, and walk away what I needed to get done.

And seeing how some people here loath the DMV...I guess their experiances with them must have been bad ones. So here's what I always do.

1. dress casual...normal clean green or blue t-shirt, clean blue jeens or decent looking shorts, and a normal baseball cap.

2. Have the funds and paperwork ready when you get there. If you don't know what you need, then they will tell you. Take the time and collect up the forms they require for your transaction.

3. If you have to get the car smogged...do it ahead of time, $20 to get it done in some states, and if the car fails, fix the problem before the state finds out about it. Normally a new cat and an o2 sensor is all you need. Then show up with the pass paperwork if you need it or not....it's the green thing to do anyways..even if you don't need it.

4. Brush your teeth, and have some breath mints handy right before you go up to the DMV'er. First appearances, and smell always gets the person doing your stuff for your car in a better mood....and smile. Show a freindly face and be repectful of how you greet them. A nice "Good morning" will go a long way.

5. Don't act like your in a rush. Look at what they do all day, and what types of people comes in and yells at them...of course they will have an attitude....just give them time to do what they need to do.

6. Speak a clean normal launguage. No slang, no slurs, no un-needed comments to distract them from what they need to do.

7. Have enough cash for what you need to do, and have a little extra just incase something else pops up on their computer, I had an incedent to where I had to owe some taxes on other cars, so I stopped the transaction right there, told them to wait, I rushed across town and paid the taxes, and came back with a receipt, and the same guy saw me and took me right away, and we finished the registration.

8. Print in clean black ink and decent writing on the forms...proper print or typed forms are what they like to see. Can you read someone elses botched or bad handwritting and try to type it into a computer.. they hate that as much as you do.

9. Turn off your cell phone!!!! The world can live without your voice for 5-10 minutes. Trust me... I've seen some DMV'ers close the window when someone was talking on the cell phone arranging a date with a chick or just talking like they was on the street.

10. Don't raise your voice, or argue with them...no matter what...they are there to tell you what else you need, or how much you owe. If you had people ranting and telling you bullcrap all day, thats another reason for them to get pissy at everyone else... once again, put yourself in their shoes and treat them the way you would want to be treated.

If you do these, and you find you still have problems the next time your at the DMV, then your screwed. DMV'ers can smell fear in a whiney little runt, and they have very little faith in people that are too smooth...I find that when I go up to them, I will have a little "happy to see them", "I'm slightly nervious look", and "I'm willing to do what it takes to get the bussiness done" look....it works all the time. :D

/5th beer was just opened....:p

how does any of that get you in faster? you still have to wait for Paco to have his 7yr old kid translate, grandma to count her pennies one at a time on the counter, and wait for the 2433232 16 yr olds witing to get their pic taken for their license

#1 tip from your Uncle Cel:

1. Fuck Connecticut. Register your car in Maine over the phone.

I guess you never been to the Bridgeport DMV office....:rolleyes:

New Britians office is a little better....but the same thing...there is a first counter that you go to, they ask you what you are there for, check your documents that you need, and tells you what you also need...If you show up with those docs an hour later, they spot you at the end of the line, they remember your attitude, and the wave you on thru to the other counter. Then you have already cut the real waiting time in half....

Also...Wednesday's are the best days to go....Mondays they are closed, Tuesdays they have a mad rush of people that just has to have their crap done last week, and wednesdays they are slowish. Thursdays are also good, but don't go on Fridays or Saturdays....too many people trying to get their stuff done before the week-end...and the time of day also matters...early mornings are the best times to get there...if you have to take a half a day off from work to get the stuff done...do it when they are still in a good mood and they haven't seen the Pacos to have his 7yr old kid translate, grandmas to count her pennies one at a time on the counter, and wait for the 2433232 16 yr olds waiting to get their pic taken for their first license.

/beer number 6.....

<--I'm white. So teh Bridgeport office is best for me....

My wife is Japanese...so the new Britian DMV is the best for her....

go figuare.... :huh:

CT is busting down on drivers that they see normally at the same time of day or at the same places that the cops hang out, and Maine and Florida licence plates are sticking out like sore thumbs....

one trick for the guys in CT that buys luxury cars and wants to forgo the taxes on said high roller cars, they open a PO box in Florida, do a trip down there, register their car down there, and come back and forego the taxes...and the CT gov cought on to that and they are pulling over anyone with a FL plate...and if their licence or insurance papers has a ct address...then they are screwed....CT needs there tax money so they can have more fireworks shows on the 4th of July....

thats nothing new.

technically, if you are here for more than 45 days (INCLUDING COLLEGE STUDENTS) you need to have a CT registration.

Illinois must be in Bizarro-world.

All of my DMV experiences have been absolutely great. The people working the counter are some of the friendliest people I've met in any service industry anywhere. The lines are still long, but the people are absolutely wonderful.

On second thought, this could be exactly what Airjockie was talking about. I've never been rushed or rude to a DMV person, and in turn I've never had a bad experience.

Last edited:
Back