DO I have a 89 HF?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

Hey, I just picked up a nice little 89 CRX and don't know how to locate info of what "exactly" it is..

It's either a dx or hf, being that there isn't a sunroof or rear wiper (yet). I did pull the carpet back to take a look at the ecu, but didn't have the right size socket but noticed a white stamp showing HF with a circle around it, Under the carpet at the pass footwell.

Another thing.. I already did the DA swap of the brakes on my 90 4dr. Will I be able to do the same rear swap of the DA control arms/cables and brake assy??
I remember reading something about needing the "SI" parts. Of which I can't remember.

Yet another Q.
Will the headlight/turn sig assy swap from the 4drs to the crx's?

Thanks for your help.

E

The rear disc conversion will be the same and the Si front spindles are only needed for B-series swaps. :thumbsup:

IT's mpfi with a goofy thin intake. Like a 1 3/4-2"opening. I already have A EX mani that I was going to use for my 4dr.
You think/know if that would swap?

The little pic is in my other thread. "which head is this"

EF honda kid.. Do you know if the EX spindles are the same as the SI's?
I've seen more ex's in the yards than SI's. I thought that the EX's had power steering and power windows n/such. How 'bout wagons??
I planned on building up a little B18 LS swap for it, driving it for a while (to make sure its' all OK) and then selling for some kids graduation or ?...

Thanks E

EX and Si's both use the bigger axle, the EX just has the biggest front brakes of all the EFs so if you can get a set of EX spindles for the B swap they would be the best choice.

I have to jet off to work.. Lovely isn't it? I leave at 11 and don't get home til 9..

Not alot gets done anymore.
I'll try and take some pics here.
E

the HF has a D15B6 MPFI engine

does it have seat belts in the doors? 89 HF has pillar mounted seat belts

Jlicrx.. How you doing? You always come up with good stuff too.

Yup, it's the B6 with this headswap on it.. (my 'other' thread)
"Pillars".. You mean the stationary ones behind my L-shoulder or the moving ones like my 4dr? I'll check that out later tonight.
Does the HF have the tach also? if not then I'm not sure of the mileage..
By the look of what was coming out of the radiator, i don't think its' been changed for a l o n g time. Where the heck does rust come from with an ALL-alloy engine??

I planned on doing a mild LS swap to it, drive it for a little bit (make sure it's safe and all then sell it to pay off some stuff/finance my B20 swap) so I really don't "HAVE to" mess with this engine. It's just that it runs, and it's been a while since I've driven one. (I'm getting to dislike coil-overs by the day..)

Thanks again.
E

GUYS, thank you for all the support..
I must apologize for my ignorance. It all just hit me that when the prev owner told me that it had 'some kind of swap' I just assumed it was done.
And not knowing the HF was a mpi unlike the dx's, I thought it was something 'different'.

SO, I guess it is just an HF, and for the time being I'll pop on that D16a6 intake/TB/PM-6 ecu and see what happens.
It does have the "L-3" trans from what the trans code section states but i'm not sure if it's from an HF. From when I drove it, it didn't seem that slow geared..?
Back in the day, You could use a 80's 1300 trans that had a 4.93FD so one could mate that to a EB,ED,EF or early EK (all pre-83 except the EK, that one you had to have the early 14mm crank bolt flywheel)
And basically have a close ratio trans with a .68 O.D.!!! with a 1200, you would have to be flying to keep the cam in it's band but the EK's had the torque to cruise with it.
SORRY, I got back in 'yesterday' mode.

Getting back to the L-3 trans.. What numbers started for the DX and SI?
(the GJ one that I talked about started with a 86xxxxxx. If you got to the 87xxxxxxx it was a different gear ratio.

I really hate to start another thread asking this BUT there might be some tranny guru that won't be reading this thread..

E

Any words of wisdom on this last edition?

BUT, the liners are encased in aluminum.. Unless it's been 'sleeved' Doubt it though.
The iron shows up in oil analysis along with the ring wear.

I think I'll call Honda, ask them if the vin shows any mileage notations and go from there. I just don't think the cluster is from this car.

That coolant was probably original 'stock':eek:

E

Back