1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to run a crank pulley on my LS Vtec?

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EF' started by teamrrtjoker, Mar 11, 2010.

1. teamrrtjoker

teamrrtjoker riceburnin' dirt tracker

I am the no Honda knowing clown thats building the CRX dirt track car. I searched and cant really find a definitive answer about not running a crank pulley at all. I found discussion about underdrive pulleys, lightweight pulleys but not no pulley. I am running a ls vtec in a dirt track crx, it will be rebuilt every season, so 100k miles isnt necessary. Any comments? Im not running anything on the crx that needs a belt off the crank, and sure would be cool to lose that heavy ass monster if I dont NEED it. thanks in advance

2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

you need a crank pulley. how else you going to run your accessory belts and hold your crank timing gear on?

3. teamrrtjoker

thats what Im talking about...thanks. Im not running any accesories, but I didnt even think about the lower timing gear being held on by the crank pulley...lol..thats what I was looking for thanks:D

4. TurboMirage

your alternator is an accessory :)

5. teamrrtjoker

not running one of them either, got a big deep cycle battery mounted in the back with a 2+ hour reserve, and will be charging between heat races and features. we run a 8 lap warm up, then a 10 lap heat, followed by a 5 lap shootout then sit for a hour or so, then a 20 min final. It should work out with the reserve avail. I was following ya, thanks for the lower gear deal reminder though, that might have sucked...lol

6. DESPAIN

DESPAIN yep....mmhhm.......yep...

wouldnt it be less wheight to and more reliable to just run a small batt. and an alt.?

7. teamrrtjoker

possibly, thats something Im going to toy with. I like the idea of the extra weight being in back toward the drivers side for weight distribution purposes. One of my buddies is building a civic hatch for the dirt, and he's going the alternator route, we'll see which works best. I was just thinking of ways to get rid of that heavy ass pulley. Thanks for the input

8. TurboMirage

my favorite part about going to autox or track is this:

arrive, swap tires, drive, swap tires, go home.

9. newb

newb phresh VIP

Why dont you have a spare pully cut down? Take everything off besides the little bit you need to hold the timing gear tight.

10. Magana559

Magana559 The Warden

Buy a Civic type R pulley. super light.

11. TurboMirage

harmonic balancer?

12. newb

newb phresh VIP

What do you mean?

If your sayin he needs one, he said he doesnt. If your askin if thats what I meant, kinda but I meant the balancer, ribs and leftover webbing too.

13. teamrrtjoker

I talked to a machinist after I was enlightened about the timing gear part, who is going to take most of the pulley off for me and do it on a lathe so that it stays even in balance. should work, I let you know how it works out. Basically it has to run hard for 14 races then it gets rebuilt anyway so it needs to make around 800-1000 miles a season. Oh yeah the machinist is a buddy and is going to do the work for nuthin, otherwise I would just go the type r route for the lighter pulley. thanks for the input guys much appreciated

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted