Do I need a 5spd ECU?Can I covert my Auto ECU to a manual?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Accordian

I have a 94 honda accord ex auto and I also have a beaten 94 accord dx 5spd. I am about 75% done with a tranny swap.. I am turning my 94 ex auto into a 5spd manual...I NEED help with the ECU Situation... DO i need to get a 94 EX 5spd ecu?? could I modifiy mine?(anyone know exactly what needs to be done?) can I just unplug my tranny computer...and jump some of the wires from the auto shifter?? I think thats what I will try advice please

How to Convert an Automatic ECU to 5 Speed Specs​
[FONT=HLHKFI+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]
First, let's find out if we have an automatic, or a 5 speed ECU. If you don't want to plug it in and throw code 19 (automatic trans lockup solenoid) to find out it is an automatic ECU, then look at the code on the side. If the second to last number is a 5, then you have an automatic ECU (for OBD-1 USDM ECUs). If the 2nd to last # is anything but a five you have an ECU for a 5 speed. If you have a JDM obd-1 ECU, look at the last 3 digits: 900 or 901 will be an automatic. If you were unfortunate enough to get an automatic ECU, then read on and learn how to cure all your problems. The following information was all obtained from Hondata.com and the picture was graciously borrowed from them as well.
Ecu.jpg

For JDM Pr3/Pw0 ECUs: Move the jumper from R68 to R67 (both locations are to the left of the ROM) For USDM OBD1 ECUs (p28): Underneath the ROM there is a row of resistors labeled with RP__ . Remove RP17 and install a jumper across RP18. For JDM OBD1 ECUs: RP18 (in the same location as USDM) needs to be lowered in value from 2.4k to 1.4k ohms.​
[/FONT]

So! can I just convert my automatic ECU to a 5spd and then plug in back into my car and start driving my newly swapped 5spd car??

SERIOUSLY?! uhhh ok, so what about the wirring though? to my 5spd? the VSS and the reverse wirring? and what about the shifter needing to be in park? or neutral so the car can start? and the intrusctions you posted don't tell me anything (esp. my ecu), how can I covert my 94 accord ex automatic ecu to a 5spd? it's the POA

Last edited:
Back