do i need a vtec controller for this swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sol2hatch

Alright, I need to know what I need to do to wire the vtec into my cx hatch. I am having the engine swapped this weekend, and I was told by a friend that I would need a VTEC controller. Is that true, or can i just use the computer that is with the D16Z6. If I use the computer from the d16, will it just plug into the cx wiring harness? thanks for the help

you will need a VTEC ecu, and you need to add the wires for VTEC, just search for wiring vtec, you'll find plenty of detailed instructions on how to do it, including this months article. A vtec controller isnt necessary.
A vtec controller is used in conjunction with the computer to adjust the RPM in which the VTEC activates, not run the VTEC entirely.

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Jan 31 2005, 11:19 PM
you will need a VTEC ecu, and you need to add the wires for VTEC, just search for wiring vtec, you'll find plenty of detailed instructions on how to do it, including this months article. A vtec controller isnt necessary.
[post=454333]Quoted post[/post]​

I am assuming that the vtec computer will plug right in to the harness that is there, is that right?

The ECU will work as long as it's a vtec ecu, and since it came with the engine it should be fine.

A VTEC controller isn't necessary. All it does is allow you to set vtec engagement at different RPMs, which you don't need to do.

Vtec controllers do not plug right in, you have to tap the RPM signal and vtec wires to operate it.

Originally posted by sol2hatch+Feb 1 2005, 12:22 AM-->
cycloneb18c3
@Jan 31 2005, 11:19 PM
[post=454333]Quoted post[/post]​

I am assuming that the vtec computer will plug right in to the harness that is there, is that right?
[post=454336]Quoted post[/post]​

as long as you have the same obd ecu as the obd on the car it will plug right in!

Back