Do i need it for the car to spark?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

for an 88 honda civic dx hatch back with a 91 B18A1 in it to spark does the alternator have to be hooked up, or will it spark with out the alternator hooked up???
thanks

The car will spark without the alternator, but if you do get the engine to start, it will die within seconds because the battery is not enough to keep it going.

it wont die in seconds. ive heard of people taking off the alternator for weight reduction purposes in drag racing. you only need the car to run a few times for the runs. it will last a little bit, but not long.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Sep 23 2003, 11:10 AM
it wont die in seconds. ive heard of people taking off the alternator for weight reduction purposes in drag racing. you only need the car to run a few times for the runs. it will last a little bit, but not long.

Yeah thats what i meant, it wont die in two seconds but it will die off pretty quickly. Drag racing, its only used for a little bit too. :D

so , to answer your question, you do not need an alternator on your vehicle for spark, but if you have been doing testing for a long time with just the battery it might be dead, make sure that your battery has charge or else you will have no spark

:spam:

i am asking this because i dont have the alternator hooked up and i dont have spark, i am trying to come up with ideas to as y i dont have spark, and i am running out of ideas..ne suggestions?

Back