do I need to line bore my block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
do i need to line bore my block when addig a Z-10 lower block girdle? It has been recommended to me , but I pick up my bottom end today from the machine shop. should I have them keep it, or am I waisting my time and money?

matt

It can't hurt to have it all lined up again after you add the girdle... it CAN shift the bores around some when you torque it down.

Hmm. Yeah- I think most of the time you just add the girdle anyway, so just check to make sure everything's lined up after you bolt it in and you should be ok. I'm pretty sure that you DO have to machine the main caps on the bottom to even get the girdle to bolt up if you didn't have one before, so there's still some machine shop time required for a proper installation. If you already had a girdle on the block, you should be good to go without getting the block cut again.

the block was completely stock when I got it. I stripped it and inspected it. I took him everything that would be bolting to it(so they could balance and pre assembl)e. I am assuming that everything should be good, but I'll ask him his opinion. I would rather wait and do it right. Unless things are cool with it now.

matt

Ask him to be sure- then get a second opinion from another engine builder/machine shop. Take the girdle to him and he might be able to just bolt it up and see if/how things change- that's the best way to tell.

Back