do I need to plain my D16Z6 head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jisakson

Hey guys...

Can I... and do I need to get my D16Z6 head plained? It had a leaky head gasket. What else would cause the head to leak? Is it common for the heads to be warped, should I have it magnafluxed? What's the standard?

Thanks guys

Have you replaced the gasket before? If not replace the gasket and see if that fixes it, might just be a bad gasket.

Your head may be warped, may be cracked. Since you are going to have to take the head off regardless I would say take it to a shop and have them look at it. If you wanna check it yourself keep reading.

You can quick check for warping by laying a metal straight edge on opposing corners (diagonally) and then again on the opposite corners. The straight edge should obviously lay perfectly flat, if not, warped. Also check the block's level in the same fashion, forming an X from the corners.

Depending on how bad the warping is its possible to have the head milled back true.

If you have cracking they can be welded and then have the head milled again, but most likely it will be cheaper/easier to just get another head and replace yours if it is bad.

Definitely send it to a machine shop to check for cracks and make sure it is level. Made that mistake one time being in a hurry and just put it back together. After doing that, it seemed to leak worse. Can't reuse head gaskets(If you do, your a dumbass). So after taking it back apart, having the head milled, and replacing the head gasket(again), everything was fine. It shouldn't cost but around $30 to have it milled. It's worth it. A new head gasket alone will run you about double that. Not to mention your time.
Why chance it?

Back