do i need to swap out the timing belt?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wickedplastikman

i just swapped out my gsr head with a b16 head. the timing belt is really loose even after i tighten the tensioner. i am trying to use the timing belt i had with the gsr head since it only had 500 miles on it. is this the wrong belt?

Generally you use the belt for the block. 1.8 block, use a 1.8 motors belt.

im using the gsr block. but for some reason, there is a hell of a lot of slack in the timing belt. i am sure i ran the belt right. there wasnt as much slack when i had the gsr head on it.

i was always told it had to match the water pump. my ls/vtec has a b16 head, but a gsr water pump and i run a gsr timing belt.

well, i have a gsr block and gsr water pump with a gsr timing belt and i can not figure out why the belt is still loose. is it possible that the tensioner is stuck?

Originally posted by wickedplastikman@Jan 2 2005, 03:04 PM
well, i have a gsr block and gsr water pump with a gsr timing belt and i can not figure out why the belt is still loose. is it possible that the tensioner is stuck?
[post=440143]Quoted post[/post]​

Well i may be wrong but i am 99% sure all DOHC V-TEC timing belts are the exact same measurements. EVEN the TYPE-R. I was at acura one day when i was getting my B20/B16 Turbo engine together and i was under the same question...But i had the lady grab one TYPE-R, GSR off the shelf.. Same sizes...And i am pretty sure the TYPE-R is the same as the B16 so........ Your belt tensioner is either bad or the spring is stretched.

Originally posted by eicivic@Jan 5 2005, 11:20 AM
Well i may be wrong but i am 99% sure all DOHC V-TEC timing belts are the exact same measurements. EVEN the TYPE-R. I was at acura one day when i was getting my B20/B16 Turbo engine together and i was under the same question...But i had the lady grab one TYPE-R, GSR off the shelf.. Same sizes...And i am pretty sure the TYPE-R is the same as the B16 so........ Your belt tensioner is either bad or the spring is stretched.
[post=441398]Quoted post[/post]​

i would have to disagree with you, because the type r and the gsr is the same motor as far as the size the b16 and the b18 is a totally different motr the b18 sits taller then the b16 if i am not mistaking the b18 is 8mm taller then the b16 all i know is that they are not the same belt totally different size!

yes, def sounds like a tensioner problem...
it would be smart to replace the tensioner...

there are 3 timing blet groupings:

b16
LS
ctr/itr/gsr

your current belt should work.

check the tensioner. they go bad all the time. and make sure the slack is on the tensioner side (rear) of the motor, not the front.

yeah. all the slack is on the tensioner side. when i tighten the tensioner, nothing really seems to happen. what goes bad on the tensioner that i need to replace? is it just the spring? or do i need to replace the entire thing?

make sure that the spring is on the block that happened to me i thought the tensioner was bad but it took the timing belt cover off and boom it was the spring it was off put it on tightened it up and it was perfect hope that works

cool. ill take the cover off tommorrow and see how the spring looks. i know its supposed to have a tiny bit of slack, but the belt is loose enough to easily jump some teeth. thanks guys.

Back