Do I really need a new master cylinder?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bcman

Hey everybody,
I've heard a lot of controversy over whether you need a new master cylinder when upgrading from drums to discs. my 1995 EX has a 7/8" master cylinder currently. Is a 15/16" going to make that big a difference when I install rear discs and a 4040 prop. valve?

Im gonna say yes, but wait for an aswer from some one whos more sure of them self.

you don't have to, but it will give you better braking overall.
and hell, while your at it, jsut get the ITR one with the 1"

:withstupid: that stock master was never intended to push the extra fluid that the conversion will require, it may work with the stock master but it defeats the purpose kinda.

so it sounds like I do need it. I foolishly ripped a MC out of a 91 integra, only to find that it doesn't mate to my brake booster (mounting points are top right and bottom left, not vice versa). which Hondas had a 15/16 MC that would bolt on to my booster? (I really don't want to swap out the booster, too.)

Ok, the 7/8's is plenty good for stopping whatever brakes you have, BUT, since it takes a little longer (more pedal travel to fill) the chances that in a clutch situation where you have to step on the brakes in an emergency the chances of the wheels locking up are greater, since it is filling more towards the end of the arm travel. Does that make sense?

I am using the 7/8 right now, and it still bites like a maniac, but if you want a MC and booster that will bolt right into your car, look at the RS MC (or the Del Sol vtec one) on a GSR booster. The RS MC has the line fittings in the same place as you Civic, but as you mentioned above the bolt pattern is opposite of the Civics, so you need the booster to fit.

looks like the bolt pattern is a match but i'd do some more research before buying

I have wilwood big brake kit with SS lines on the front of my car, with the stock mc and vacbooster. I have absolutely no problems whatsoever with the kit, other than locking up the brakes, and feeling the abs doing only 30....on dry pavement. but if you do a rear kit too that includes replaceing the calipers, then definately do a new mc...also, from a mechanics pov, do the booster at the same time, itll save you a lot of pain in the ass problems later if the booster were to go out.

Back