do i use the DC radiatior?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alright, the swap is going in this weekend and im tying up all my loose knots before i start. you all have helped me quite a bit so far, but i found another quick question.

when i swap in the b18b in my ex, do i use a teg radiatior? i was just concerned if it would fit. if so that would be great b/c ive got a never used one lying around, otherwise that bites.

oh and could anyone guess at how long this may take? its me and 2 other guys and we all have a very nice knowledge about cars mechanical wise but its my first swap, 5hrs? 10? 20? any shot in the dark?

heh, it took me about a year to get my swap all the way done but that's a long story, if you aren't boosting the motor the stock civic radiator can probably deal with the teg motor but if you have a teg radiator laying around you might as well put it in, a little bracket mod might be in order though-not sure if the thing will fit right in...

no need to use the teg radiator use the one you have

For the first question. You don't have to use the teg radiator, and if you still have AC you can't. Its not a drop in afair, and if you do it you need to take off your bottom mount holders (whate ever you want to call them) and move one about an inch or two towards the passenger side, the other about a foot or so. You have to either secure them by nuts and bolts (drilling require) or welding. When I did it, I had my freind help me weld them on. Also the top holders have to be fabbed up some way. First time through, I just used some shitty sheet metal. Later I made a much nicer peice out of some aluminum and a metal bender. However, again, if you have AC, this is completely out of the option. Your stock raditor will be fine. If your running into cooling problems, you can go the OEM route by buying a del Sol VTEC (b16a model) or an automatic civic radiator. Both are Dual Core which offer much better cooling then the stock civic single core. If your going turbo, defently step up to a really nice aluminum aftermarket raditor.

As for doing the swap your first time, if you have the right tools and you don't have any hook ups, it doesn't take too long. You can easily have it done in a weekend. Doing my next swap, I hope to have the engine out of the civic shell in 2-3 hours, 3 for getting my GSR swap out of my sol, and another 4 to put the GSR engine in the hatch. With a manual, its not too hard if you get stuck.

Me and 2 friends did a b16a2 into a 95 coupe in 12 hours, that was
Drive in>at 2pm
Start the removal at 2:30 (cool down)(didnt work BTW)
Several Group Smoke breaks and talks
Completed removal at 6:30
Went looking for a GSR side bracket: 7:45
Started drop in of b16a2 at 9:00
swap started at 12:00am
finished up swap/filled fluids/checked for leaks/etc
Drove out> 2am

None of us have ever done a B series Swap.
Only the b20a5 garbage motor at LEAST 10 times throughout 4 cars.
(if you own a 3rd gen prelude, sell it RIGHT NOW)
Depends on what you have tho, we had a half filled toolbox and lots of luck and 'improvising' skills.
If i was to redo the whole swap,it would take me 7 hours or less if i had everything i needed in advance.

WOW It only took me 4 hrs to do my swap. (B18B1 into a 96 civic LX) but I know what im doing. Here see if this helps you out man.Site of shit

ya boy steveo

thanks for all the help. me and the 2 guys im working with, we all worked at dealerships before and i was the lucky guy who worked at honda. it was sweet working and testdriving all the new cars. but anyways we've got lots of tools, and were pretty good on things, we're starting friday at about 2 pm and we've got until sunday night. hopefully if all else fails, saturday we can fine tune everything

Back