Do you "exaggerate" on your Taxes?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
So it's tax time. I just thought I would ask if you guys have ever "exaggerated" on your taxes.

It could be claiming a couple extra miles for work or some expenses or even claiming an extra kid and wedding.

Now I know there are legal issues here, but I know everybody has stretched a little bit.

extra kid needs a social security number so thats out

less than 1% of citizens actually receive an audit
as long as you keep your numbers from raising red flags then you should be good

extra kid needs a social security number so thats out

less than 1% of citizens actually receive an audit
as long as you keep your numbers from raising red flags then you should be good
i was kidding about the extra child part. haha.

i try to keep it as legit as possible. i don't file extra homes or anything like that. i stretch my mileage a little bit. I feel like the government rapes me every year. still no justic though.

last thing i want is a paper trail on my ass, so no i dont stretch things.

hmm. I usually fluff my school expenses and interest paid on student loans. But otherwise no.

i write off every single thing i can think of. i need to get back some of the $27,000 withheld from me in 2007.

damn B. claim me as a child and we'll split 75/25, ill take the 25.

Claiming extra expenses on your taxes can be easy, IF you own a businness. But personally, I wouldn't do it. Thing's tend to always catch up to you later on.

I've got nothing... 1040EZ for me, getting around $850 back this year, first refund in 4 years... Took me 4 years to recover from accidentally claiming exempt one year and having no taxes taken out. I took the job I'm still in now as a temp position, expected to be here for a month or two, so I claimed exempt. Forgot to change that status and worked for a full year before catching it.

Then I got hired on full time, and just got one of those great promotions-with-no-raises. With no taxes taken out back then, I was making more as a temp than I am now. :mad:

I really need to start itemizing though.

Last edited:
I usually fluff my school expenses and interest paid on student loans.
all your student loans are reported under your SSN
you can't be that stupid

I really need to start itemizing though.
you need big expenses to itemize, usually owning a home with mortgage interest and real estate taxes

yeah, you need to beat the standard deduction (5200 i think it is?) before itemizing makes a difference.

I used to stretch my old rent figures. I'd tell them I paid rent of like 700 a month when it was like 350.

you need big expenses to itemize, usually owning a home with mortgage interest and real estate taxes
as far as real estate taxes, is that
a)property tax
b) school tax
c) both
I never remember. Still waiting for my W-2 to come in. The tax return this year will pay off the lawyer and get me divorced. If the ex files her taxes this year I'll get up to $2500 of it for back child support, which will pay for someone to put the bathroom in the basement (i already bought everything for it). Then rent out the house for a year payback my parents the 6grand I owe them for helping me with the lawyer, and I'm back on a level playing field. Now if I can get this job (which is similar to what I do now) for $39/hr life will be good. Oh, and for the record I would never do anything ilegel with my taxes, then admit to it. that's stupid.

all your student loans are reported under your SSN
you can't be that stupid

I meant I fluff my school expenses and claim my interest paid on student loans(if any). lol.

When I made 28k I got a humongous tax return when I was 18. That was legit.

so what are some normal things that you can write off...so i can write off the mileage it takes for me to get to work and home from work? and what else?

Back