do you have to swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What is your engine code? I assumed you had a D15B8 because you had a 93 civic CX...

Seems like a straight up turbo is the way to go, no extra work with the head or anything... nice!

I guess it really depends on your budget and your plans for the car. If I were you... (And I'm on a budget) I'd get a B16A from Hmotorsonline.

Originally posted by Blanco@Aug 28 2005, 03:36 PM
Consider spending that $3k for the B16 swap on building a D16. If you're on a real budget, that is. A D16Z6/Y8 will damn near keep up with an LS swap because it's very close to the same horsepower and considerably lighter. You can also hit 400whp on a D16, if that's your goal, very easily.
[post=546390]Quoted post[/post]​

i have no need for 400whp i'm looking for 250whp while still keeping a reliable car..is it possible?

possible, yes. plausible? no. you are looking for reliable power, so i'm going to assume that this is a daily driver. i dont know how many people have driven around town in a sohc with over 200 hp, but it becomes fairly high strung. 250 horsepower reliably is going to mean new rods, new pistons, head studs, etc., etc., blah blah blah. by the time you weigh in the cost of this stuff it will by far outweigh the option of a b16. i love single cams, and have a turbo y8 in an ef, but my b16 eg hatch is still way more fun to drive. if you decide on a sohc swap or mini-me setup, the y8 engine or head swap with a p28 is the way to go. lightened flywheel and clutch should be on the list when you swap over to the si tranny too. good luck

Originally posted by evoracer03@Aug 29 2005, 01:27 AM
possible, yes. plausible? no.
[post=546640]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't those two words mean damn near the exact same thing? Why did you contradict yourself?

There have been plenty of people on here and honda-tech with 250 hp D series daily drivers. It's all up to the build and if FI is involved, how well it is tuned.

Originally posted by 2000Si+Aug 29 2005, 06:47 AM-->
evoracer03
@Aug 29 2005, 01:27 AM
possible, yes.  plausible?  no.
[post=546640]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't those two words mean damn near the exact same thing? Why did you contradict yourself?

There have been plenty of people on here and honda-tech with 250 hp D series daily drivers. It's all up to the build and if FI is involved, how well it is tuned.
[post=546665]Quoted post[/post]​

Plausible, in this context, means "likely." So he's saying that it is possible, but not very likely...so yes, actually it does make sense.

As far as what to do about the motor situation...I dunno, it's really up to you...a B-series swap will you give you instant power, two cams to play with, and be more reliable than a boosted D, but then again you could probably do the head swap and boost on your current motor for less than the cost of swapping in a B16.

But then again...

The B16 is obviously a better, more performance-oriented motor to begin with, so you would have more aftermarket parts to choose from and a better base to build from...

I dunno, it's a tough call really...if it were me, I would probably swap in the B.

My bad. I believe that the 1995 was the only one with a d15b8 with 8 valves, sohc engine. I am not sure, i bet it is in the reference section, that the rest had the slightly beefier d15b7, but that means honda put the same engine in the cx as the dx.

my 94 CX came with the d15b8. I swapped a d16z6 head on for less than $500 and it made a world of a difference. Boosting it was next on the list, and I was very close to it, but I ended up selling that stuff and now I'm trying to sell the car.

Originally posted by Callidus@Aug 29 2005, 06:21 PM
my 94 CX came with the d15b8. I swapped a d16z6 head on for less than $500 and it made a world of a difference. Boosting it was next on the list, and I was very close to it, but I ended up selling that stuff and now I'm trying to sell the car.
[post=546940]Quoted post[/post]​

OK, then it is the 1995 was the only one that came with 70hp from the factory. Awesome about the head swap, got any numbers that show your results (dyno, 1/4 miles stuff like that?)

i think swaping for a d16z6 head onto is it is my best bet since i'm on a tight budget...when i swap the head what else should i do to the engine?

Originally posted by civic@93,Aug 29 2005, 06:59 PM
i think swaping for a d16z6 head onto is it is my best bet since i'm on a tight budget...when i swap the head what else should i do to the engine?
[post=546952]Quoted post[/post]​

Taken from building an HF all motor monster written by pissedoffsol

clean DX head.
Si intake manifold. This should cost around 25 dollars, although friends with Honda’s will probably have a few lying around so this could be had for even less. Ideally you’ll want a
Si Distributor
Si Ecu
Si transmission
for the setup, along with a timing belt the same year as the head. For example, if it’s a 95 DX head, you’ll want a 95 DX timing belt. Other belts will probably work, but its guaranteed to work if you use this setup, although you can match parts numbers to make sure everything is to OEM specs.

Originally posted by jimboburgess+Aug 29 2005, 06:09 PM-->
@93,Aug 29 2005, 06:59 PM
[post=546952]Quoted post[/post]​

Taken from building an HF all motor monster written by pissedoffsol

clean DX head.
Si intake manifold. This should cost around 25 dollars, although friends with Honda’s will probably have a few lying around so this could be had for even less. Ideally you’ll want a
Si Distributor
Si Ecu
Si transmission
for the setup, along with a timing belt the same year as the head. For example, if it’s a 95 DX head, you’ll want a 95 DX timing belt. Other belts will probably work, but its guaranteed to work if you use this setup, although you can match parts numbers to make sure everything is to OEM specs.
[post=546959]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks bra

Originally posted by Callidus@Aug 24 2005, 12:12 AM
Yes it would be easier, and you could get a d16z6 (engine from a 92-95 Si) for ~$200. An EX/Si tranny would cost you MAYBE 200 more, whereas the B16 would put you around 1500 to 2000 for the swap.
[post=544348]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

Originally posted by jimboburgess@Aug 29 2005, 05:11 PM
My bad. I believe that the 1995 was the only one with a d15b8 with 8 valves, sohc engine. I am not sure, i bet it is in the reference section, that the rest had the slightly beefier d15b7, but that means honda put the same engine in the cx as the dx.
[post=546935]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope, my '93 CX has a D15B8... and I know the previous owner didn't do a swap for THAT engine.

Originally posted by scottp11+Aug 31 2005, 07:13 PM-->
jimboburgess
@Aug 29 2005, 05:11 PM

Nope, my '93 CX has a D15B8... and I know the previous owner didn't do a swap for THAT engine.
[post=548022]Quoted post[/post]​

and does yours say 16 valve on the valve cover?

I have a 93 CX and mine came with a D15B7 and a 4 wire 02 all from the factory. I bought it from the original owner, a old guy that liked to golf alot and it's the original motor. From all the different stories i've heard from this forum and honda-tech it looks like honda just put in the car what they had laying around. I just got lucky with the 4 wire 02. One less step for my swap.

Originally posted by civic+93,Aug 31 2005, 07:22 PM-->
Originally posted by scottp11@Aug 31 2005, 07:13 PM
jimboburgess
@Aug 29 2005, 05:11 PM

[post=548022]Quoted post[/post]​

and does yours say 16 valve on the valve cover?
[post=548025]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope, it just says "honda motor company" or somethin' like that. But yeah, D15B8 stamped on the block...

Originally posted by jgalaz1@Aug 31 2005, 09:21 PM
I have a 93 CX and mine came with a D15B7 and a 4 wire 02 all from the factory. I bought it from the original owner, a old guy that liked to golf alot and it's the original motor. From all the different stories i've heard from this forum and honda-tech it looks like honda just put in the car what they had laying around. I just got lucky with the 4 wire 02. One less step for my swap.
[post=548068]Quoted post[/post]​

and yours says "16 valve" on the valve cover?, and hopefully i got lucky as well

Back