Do you think its to much?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The price.

Only because you know the guys that work on your car. :p

That is about what I paid for a head gasket job -

about 7 years ago.... I don't let anyone touch my engine anymore. Except if it's in pieces and at the machine shop.

Seriously, a headgasket job is easier than the clutch job I just did. Just get a Helms' manual for your car, and do it yourself. 500-600 of that cost is going toward labor. Think about it. If you have a spare Saturday, it's easy to learn how to work on cars. And if you think that Honda tech school is going to teach you how to build 'dominator' engines, you'll only be halfway there by the time you graduate from it. Take some time to study up a bit on physics, thermodynamics, and the Otto cycle. Then you'll be getting somewhere. My .02, but good luck with the tech school.

The only time I had a head gasket changed, it cost me $25. I did the labor myself. I don't count all the times I had an engine completely rebuilt- that's a much bigger deal than just putting the gasket in at the end. ;)

That is about what I paid for a head gasket job -

about 7 years ago.... I don't let anyone touch my engine anymore. Except if it's in pieces and at the machine shop.

Seriously, a headgasket job is easier than the clutch job I just did. Just get a Helms' manual for your car, and do it yourself. 500-600 of that cost is going toward labor. Think about it. If you have a spare Saturday, it's easy to learn how to work on cars. And if you think that Honda tech school is going to teach you how to build 'dominator' engines, you'll only be halfway there by the time you graduate from it. Take some time to study up a bit on physics, thermodynamics, and the Otto cycle. Then you'll be getting somewhere. My .02, but good luck with the tech school.

+1

The only time I had a head gasket changed, it cost me $25. I did the labor myself. I don't count all the times I had an engine completely rebuilt- that's a much bigger deal than just putting the gasket in at the end. ;)

Mike....felpro gaskets (shakes head)......there is no way you put an oem gasket in for $25...oh wait, you had a d-series engine once....

Were past this already but, I talked to a shop owner today that always comes into my work and he said $350 for the head gasket, milling, and reassemble. Im so piised of right now. I guess its better to be pissed off then pissed on.:(

If you are paying someone to do the job, make sure that they are a reputable shop. I paid close to 800 for a HG job before I had the knowledge to work on my car myself. The engine was good for 3 years before it spun a rod bearing (dumb ls oil pumps, lol). So this may be one of those 'you get what you pay for' deals.

Didnt need a HG. The head bolts were stripped out and there wasnt enough torque holding the head down. This fucking sucks!!!

There not going to be as strong as the stock threads though are they. Plus if this motor does it again im stepping up to a vtec motor. I think its going to anyway. We milled the head so we bumped the compression up again and now the threads in the head arent that strong. The higher compression is going to push the head and the block apart like it did this time. I think the vtec is on the way.

The helicoil can support the torque specs of the head bolts. you should be fine. just make sure to get a long tap to reach down into the stud holes in the block. Blocks are cheap. Either way you'll be fine. The added compression won't be a big deal for the helicoil unless you are turbocharging to like double the engine's stock power.

Back