Do you throw any codes when this is removed? (pic)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

purge.jpg

I know this isn't really needed... But will my car throw any codes if it's unplugged?
I just have it unplugged rolled up/ziptied out of sight. (I can get a pic if anyones interested.)

Thanks.

Nope, you don't need it. I believe it's the EVAP purge solenoid on the 88-91's. I've never, ever, ever used it on the many different swapped hondas I've had. I usually cut the wires and hide them in the wire loom with the map sensor wires, so it looks like it wasn't ever there.

If you have to pass emissions, though, you'll need it...other than that there isn't really any reason for you to keep it. If you do remove it, you might as well go ahead and take out your charcoal canister and other EVAP purge related items, and cap off the vacuum line on top of the throttle body and the EVAP purge line on the firewall that goes back to the gas tank.

To be honest with you, neither the vacuum port on my TB nor the fuel tank vapor line on my firewall are capped off on my CRX, and I haven't had any problems...

of course, I've put a whopping 20 miles (if even that much) on it in the last 6 months...

:p

Haha... well, The only vacuum line I'm worried about is the one on the back of the IM. the one that went to the purge selenoid valve or w/e it's called.
Back when I tried to start the motor (for the first time after installing it), it made a backfire-like 'pop'... so thats the only one I'm worried about.

I think it'll be fine.
Thanks again

do not cap the line coming out of the firewall to the canister, unless you put a vented gas cap on the car - this is the vent line for the fuel tank and the tank has to be vented - if it is not vented, when the pump sucks the fuel out, leaving nothing but vacuum in the tank, the outside air pressure will collapse the fuel tank

so I'll just leave it uncapped and it'll be fine?
It's just gases that comes up there, no actual fuel right?

a little bit of gas comes out of mine, not much though, i have a hose that points it down and i see gas on the rear subframe in the engine bay from time to time.

Thats probably what I'll do. I'll use some of that cool clear tubing you see in the picture and just tie it to the rear subframe or something.

Back