Do you work in retail, care to add your thoughts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

We don't do anything quite that sophisticated at Shaw's, but we will often run the best sales at the beggining and end of a products availability. Additionally, if you see something that is date coded (exp date), and it is marked down significantly - chances are its going out of date the the next day, or it already has. We got rid of 6 cases of backstock 2lb Shaws salad mix by marking them down to $.69 ea, instead of the normal $1.99. No one noticed that they were coded for the next day. And if the manager isn't around, you can get away with same-day codes - although it is slightly illegal. ;)

I have not been in retail for a while. My first job was at a grocery store, they used to raise the price, then put the item on sale for the old price and get some money off of it. I worked at a RadioShack for awhile when I was in college, they if the last digit in the price was a 7 not a 9 it was usually a clearence, or about to be a clearence item.

I've worked in retail for the last 6 years. What they descride in the artical is refered to as mass merchant pricing, (Anything ending with a number other then 9) walmart, kmart, target. are examples. In my company i do alot of importing from asia. Typically with most of our goods (excluding electorics) we work right with the factories that make the goods so our first cost is very low. We will mark the product up 100 points (200%) then promo the item for 50% off. This way we are still marking 50 points (100%) on the product. We have a very strick guide line on our IMU around 52 points (again excluding electronics). Now mass merchants work off a lower IMU around 30 points, whole sale clubs like sams, costco and BJ's work off of a 15 point IMU. Because of the volume they do they can sell these goods at lower MIU's and still make a huge profit. While my company works off of a 50 point IMU no matter if the product is bought over seas or domestic. I would say that if you see a price ending in a 4 or 7 or what ever it is, has no bearing on weather or not the price will go any lower. If these merchants have stock that isn't moving at an exceptible rate will will be marked down further.

Last edited:
cheese9988 said:
I have not been in retail for a while. My first job was at a grocery store, they used to raise the price, then put the item on sale for the old price and get some money off of it.

If anyone as a consumer ever see this on the market you can actually sue the company that is doing it. The fair trade commission has laws against this and the company at fault can be fined $10,000 per infaction (this meaning that if they have 1 product that they have done this wil and 10 of them on the shelf they can be fined for each item on the shelf.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back