1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge ram 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by awptickes, Sep 15, 2008.

1. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

I'm looking for a car that I can get for around $5k. My attention was turned immediately to large pickups, because they can be had for cheap, and I can haul a bike or two in the bed, and I can tow horses.

So, I've got my eyes on an 01 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT. Here's the kicker: 5.9L V8. <3

It'll be loud, obnoxious, huge, but best of all, I'll be able to haul all of the shit I might need, and even trailer cars.

What does everything think?

2. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

if you get it, I have a trailer and a car or two for sale when you get back to the states.

3. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

You found this tub in Germany ?

Won't it cost you like $250USD per fill up ?

4. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

he's coming back in mid October...so I highly doubt that he's looking for a truck over there....unless it's a damn good deal, and he has to ship it back and pay a enormously high amount of import taxes on it.

5. NissanNiNjA2nd

NissanNiNjA2nd Senior Member

Mopar fanatic rant..... do not buy that truck.

You need one thing... and it comes in the form of the diesel.

Cummins. Nothing less will do.

6. awptickes

Diesels are out of my price range. Believe me, I'd absolutely love a cummins. I'd go out into the garage (or street if I have to get anything bigger than 1/2 ton) and caress it at night. Oh baby.

Airjockey: Awesome. I'll keep that in mind. I'm really looking forward to the ability to trailer a car. FInally I'll be able to have a dedicated track car, and not have to worry about registering the damned thing. <3 I'll give you a call.

Cel: Hahaha, Hell no. Over here the people who have those trucks need them for work or towing or what-have-you, and they won't sell 'em. Srsly, Screw driving something that big in Europe.

I'm happy that I found something for 1/2 of KBB value at private sale. I can spend the rest in gas and still come out ahead of a new TSX/civic/350z.

Best of all, is that the girlfriend is all for the truck. She likes the fact that it's an automatic, and she knows how to drive a truck, that' whole low-to-the-ground thing really threw off her driving.

7. awptickes

Btw, I just called the place, and they said it's a SLT Lariat, with no radio. She said the previous owner must have put an aftermarket radio in it, and they took it with 'em. They just put new tires on it today.

Attached are pictures.

Attached Files:

8. BodyDroppedNikes

BodyDroppedNikes ...PENDEJO.... VIP

not a bad looking truck man. i say go for it if you can get a good deal on it.

and whats wrong with being low to the ground? :huh:

9. sevenhillsbilly

sevenhillsbilly New Member

it aint a bad lookin truck but the only kicker with them dodges are teh steer boxes they go fast and the rear brakes arent that good on those
    the pluss side of that truck is the ext cab and with the 1/2 ton is you can swap out the 3/4ton springs if im not mistaken

10. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Good deal. Car Fax it.Get it Inspected. Etc.

11. NissanNiNjA2nd

NissanNiNjA2nd Senior Member

I would still stay out of it and get a diesel.... I've owned a lot of tow rigs and even more trucks.

The only ones worth owning are the ones that can do everything. 4wd, 1ton, diesel.

If it can't tow 20,000lbs up a 30 degree incline at 70mph in 6 inches of snow and a 1/2 inch of ice, I am uninterested.

12. awptickes

Yeah, I'm going to wait a week or two before I buy a 30-day carfax account. Then I'll still be able to use it when I get to the states, and need to use it. Heh.

I know. Here:

13. awptickes

Yeah, oh well. I'm not worried about it. Diesels cost about 2x at resale. If I was buying a new car, to keep forever, I'd get a diesel, but alas, I'm looking for cheap, semi-reliable transportation for me and a lot of crap.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted