does anyone have B18C into gs-r experience?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thrasher865

This weekend we are swapping in a JDM Sir-G B18C, and I know that there are a few differences in the motors. I am wondering if anyone can give me any idea of what we will run into, and some solutions? I know this is a fairly common motor swap.

I have scoured the internet, and surprisingly I can't find anything on this motor's differences from a USDM B18C1. Can anybody tell me the differences? I know that this motor won't have a vtec pressure switch and there is some difference in the knock sensors? I really just don't want to wait until saturday afternoon to make this thread when we are completely stuck and we don't know how to get this thing running, because I am not familiar with this motor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hmmm, thats what I assumed, but I heard of these differences and wanted to check it out beforehand, because we only have one day to get this done. That makes me nervous.

Maybe what I heard was a difference between an OBD1 USDM and OBD2 JDM...

Can anybody clarify that there are absolutely no differences we will need to address between the B18C and C1? I greatly appreciate it.

I should add, this is a 95 Sir-G motor going in a 95 GSR. Forgot that originally.

Ok, I found the differences. The JDM motor won't have a VTEC oil pressure switch, evap purge solenoid valve and crank speed fluctuation sensor. So I'll get some CEL codes? These should be simple jumps in the wiring harness, right? No further problem?

The JDM ecu has a cutoff at 110mph I think. Eh, thanks for your help, we'll figure it out with the chipped USDM ecu, I guess.

Hmmmm.. Well I just almost finished the swap, and there is a wire clip with just one wire coming out the bottom of the vtec solenoid, not the vtec pressure switch, its above that. Anyway, it won't fit the USDM wiring harness. The clips look nearly identical, but there is a small piece of plastic that keeps it from going in. I read something about reverse polarity or something on JDM vtec solenoids. Anybody have any thought? Do I need to get the USDM vtec solenoid off my old motor that my buddy already hauled away? :(

Thanks

Never mind, I'm just havin my buddy ship me my USDM vtec solenoid back.

When I took the shift linkage off the bottom of the shifter, there weren't any bushings on there. Just metal washers..... Sooo... I really hate the person that sold me the car for many reasons, I'll just add that to the list. How cool is having metal washers stacked up in between the shifter and the linkage?

So, for anyone searching in the future. Yes, the JDM and USDM b18c and b18c1 are identical, minus the vtec solenoid.

Since I have to wait for the dealer to get new shift linkage bushings in, I may as well just wait for my USDM solenoid instead of trying to jimmy rig somethin. Almost there! Just a few more days.

Well, my motor is in, but it won't start. I just get a loud bang, and the car shakes violently and I kill the ignition. I threw a CEL code 10 - Intake Air Temp. Found out I had the wrong clip in the IAT sensor, and the correct one was just dangling. Now the clip that was in the IAT sensor is just dangling. I'm thinkin it went to one of the sensors that the JDM motor supposedly doesn't have. So now I dont know if I should order a JDM B18C ECU or what...

The car acts like the firing order is off or something. Or it acts like the timing is off, but WAAAY off. I checked for spark and fuel, both of which I am getting. Spark plugs are covered in gas, but I tested them for spark by grounding them and turning the car over and all four spark consistently.....

Anybody have any ideas? Or am I just gonna have to spend the next 3 years of my life blindly diagnosing the problem? :( Helm isn't helping me out...

i know this is 2 months ago but did you get it running yet? i had the exact same engine and problems as you did and the extra wire dangling went to the crank sensor in the oil pump so we had to put a new one in and wire it up and now it runs perfect, no codes or anything

Back