Does anyone know anything about transplanting trees?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
I have a maple growing in my front flower beds that is going to be too close to the house.
I would like to transplant it to the backyard. The tree is still very skinny, but probably about 6+ feet tall.
Any advise or recommendations?
I tried to give it a tug and it seems to be in there pretty good.

yep, dig out around it dig a hole somewhere else, drop it in.

The root ball/system may be too big if it wasn't contained.... disturbing it could kill the tree. be gentle with it.

new hole should be 3x the width of current root system.

Drill a hole in it, pour gas in it, light it on fire.

Find maple saplings in your yard. Plant it where you want it.

I think I will be taking your approach. I estimate this tree to be about 2-3 years old.
The tree is extremely close to the house and I am not going to dig a 6 foot hole down the side of my foundation.

yeah, if it wasn't in a container, you probably have roots 6+ feet out from the stem in all directions.

Kill it, plant a new one

larry%202.jpg

You should be fine to do it no matter how old it is. Last year at work I moved a Japanese maple that was 10+ years old and it made it no problem. Its not exactly the best time of year to do it but its worth a try anyway. If your not in a hurry I would do it over a 3 week period. Divide your circle into 3 parts and cut 1/3 of your circle each week to give the tree a chance to bounce back each week, and when you plant it just throw a little fertilizer at it and make sure you keep it watered and it should be fine. Even if you do it all at once you should be ok. At that height I would dig the root ball 18-24" from the base.

Back