Does Removing A/c Make More Power

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

red95solsi

i removed the a/c from my car and i was just wondering if it added any power or if removing the a/c is just a weight reduction thing

your not gonna get any extra power..a/c only uses up more power when its ON..but removin it will def decrease the weight of your car..

yeah, you don't creat power with it, you free up power through the rotating assembly and the final weight of your ride.

Milan

Well since you don't have AC, and I am going to guess that you don't have Power Steering either, I would on a Civic n1 crank pulley (it's a nice piece bc it only has room for the alternator pulley so it's lighter than your oem piece, you would be amazed at how heavy crank pulleys are)

Milan

dont use undersrive pulleys ... they do more harm than good
the N1 pulley is good but hella expensive

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 25 2003, 08:29 PM
dont use undersrive pulleys ... they do more harm than good
the N1 pulley is good but hella expensive

what harm is done?...just got an unorthodox underdrive pulley for real cheap, its not installed yet...

underdrive pulley's ruin the harmonic balance of the engine...in which honda designed.

you will eventually do damage to the oil pump, or develop a rod knock with prolonged usage.

stay OEM honda.

exactly
also i have heard several people have serious alternator issues after using underdrive pulleys
as bad as going through like 3 in a month then ditching the pulley and not having any more problems
not worth the added stress on the car for the 3 hp you might gain

Was wondering about the pulley thing, will the light weight pulley(same diameter and all but lighter material) do the same damage as an underdrive pulley? :huh:

still have power steering the a/c wasnt working anyways and its a del sol and in one of those who needs an a/c but is that n1 crank pulley like an underdrive pulley or something or will it be safe to use and do they have it for ones with power steering?

Originally posted by noobvang@May 26 2003, 06:03 AM
Was wondering about the pulley thing, will the light weight pulley(same diameter and all but lighter material) do the same damage as an underdrive pulley? :huh:

if its not properly balanced
yes it will do the same damage to the engine

Originally posted by red95solsi@May 26 2003, 10:09 AM
still have power steering the a/c wasnt working anyways and its a del sol and in one of those who needs an a/c but is that n1 crank pulley like an underdrive pulley or something or will it be safe to use and do they have it for ones with power steering?

the N1 pulley only has space for 1 belt
its a stock JDM honda part (i believe from the civic type R)
it doesnt underdrive anything
it just gets rid of the other 2 belt positions
so it weighs less (2lbs vs 10lbs) and has less drag from having less belts attatched to it

we put on a full set on my lil bro's prelude and we went thru like 4 alternators before we put the stock alternator back on left the rest of the underdrives and got new belts. working great for a couple thousand miles

Back