Does this EK sound like a good buy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

looks clean, its deff got a good motor in it. probably decently quick, but a good starting point. looks just like my car but anyway. i wouldnt pay 7 maybe 6 thou

I was just worried about it being an OBDI system, when it is so much easier to just hook up an OBDII in a late 90's EK. If he has it running good (which he says) should there be anything I should be concerned about? Any certain questions I should ask him? He is now offering $6,300 but without the CTR wheels and he's converted it to 5 lug so I can cut his price down too low without rims because I only have an old set of 4x100 stock civic rims I was gonna use to pick up the car with, so I need his 5 luggers.

Like I said, I'm just worried about the reliability of him stepping back down to an OBDI system and any problems I may face, any ideas would be appreciated, thanks again.

I was just worried about it being an OBDI system, when it is so much easier to just hook up an OBDII in a late 90's EK. If he has it running good (which he says) should there be anything I should be concerned about? Any certain questions I should ask him? He is now offering $6,300 but without the CTR wheels and he's converted it to 5 lug so I can cut his price down too low without rims because I only have an old set of 4x100 stock civic rims I was gonna use to pick up the car with, so I need his 5 luggers.

Like I said, I'm just worried about the reliability of him stepping back down to an OBDI system and any problems I may face, any ideas would be appreciated, thanks again.

Why would the OBD1 conversion be a problem? Lots of people convert their OBD2 cars to OBD1, especially when they do motor swaps. In fact, companies like Rywire and Hasport make special harnesses you can buy just for that specific purpose. OBD1 is much more easily tuneable than OBD2. I'm guessing he did that because he wanted to get the car chipped and tuned with some kind of OBD1 only tuning software (Chrome, etc.). Either that, or the B16 he bought came out of an OBD1 equipped car. Whatever the reason, I don't see why you should be worrying about it.

Just because OBD2 is newer doesn't mean it's any better or more reliable, it just means its more complicated. Generally, you want to try and simplify things when it comes to engine swapping and tuning. OBD1 is a good way to in my opinion.

Last edited:
That is definitely true, you are right. I guess I was just concerned of him not doing it "the right way" and cutting corners and having it not run right. But after talking to him a couple hours ago he said the engine was swapped by a technician that works at Honda that was the previous owner of the car and he did everything the very best way it could have been done. If the car is in excellent running condition do you guys think it might be worth settling on giving him $6,300 in cash (with the wheels of course) He is offering $6,300 cash without the CTR wheels.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back