Does vacuum line diameter affect signal strength?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Does the inside diameter of a vacuum line affect how strong the vacuum signal is at the end of the line? In the interest of GOOD INFO, don't post unless you're absolutly certain you're right.

i didn't see this post.
i'd definitly say it matters. there is only so much volume of air that is in vacuum. the further away you are from the source, the more flase the reading is due to the space filler factor.

Diameter. Not length.

Example- Two 15 inch sections of vacuum line. One 1/8" I.D., and the other 1/4" I.D. Which one will produce a stronger vacuum signal at the end of the line?

I would say it doesn't matter.
The vaccuum should be the same no matter what diameter the pipe/tube is. The vaccuum signal will only be as strong as the vaccuum that is producing it. The only thing a smaller dia. pipe will do say a 1/4" ID vs 1/8" ID is delay or produce lag in the signal

the only time the tube/pipe dia. really comes into question is when you're dealing with vaccuum reading of 1x10^-6 torr. you want a nice big wall thinkness so the tube doesn't collapse.

It depends on the volume of the source (log style IM, ITB with a vacuum reservoir, etc.). If you have a very large reservoir for vacuum, it will support a larger line for signal. But, the smaller line will give better response due to its lower volume...so basically pissedoffsol's analysis of the volume (regardless of whether you are talking about diameter or length - got to have both for volume) is correct.

Kirk

Back