1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOH!

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by EGProject, Feb 25, 2005.

1. EGProject

EGProject YEEEEAAHHHHH

Okay, go to change my oil today. I drain it, remove the old filter, screw the new one on, tighten the drain nut.

I typically only tighten the filter as tight as I can by hand. Otherwise, it gets stuck on there, and its a b*tch to get back off. I did the oil change in my garage (which is heated - haha! NE winters can bite me) - but backed my car out brieftly so I could clean the garage, etc, etc.

Well, out to pick up pizza. Hop in the Civic, turn the key, fire it up. I hear an odd slurping and popping noise. I kill the engine.

Oh no.

I look down to see a massive puddle of oil all over the driveway. I push the car back in the garage, and then I have two massive puddles of oil to deal with.

F'in A.

I'm not sure what happened, but when I checked the filter to see if it was the culprit, I noticed it was lose. A lot lose than when I screwed it on. Did the cold outside make the fitting contract? Can it do that? What did I do wrong? Why does God hate me?

Well, needless to say, tomorow morning I'm gonna spend some time sweeping up Speedy-Dry, and changing my oil - again.

I hate the cold.

2. shortbusrebel07

shortbusrebel07 Senior Member

sounds like you "double O ringed" it. check the old filter to see if the the rubber O ring is still attached to it.

3. tab

tab Super Moderator

:werd:

I did that once before myself :slap: But, like you, I found my mistake quickly and no damage was done.

4. EGProject

EGProject YEEEEAAHHHHH

Well, crawled under the car today, and lo-and behold - there were 2 O-rings on there... just as you guys suggested.

Thanks for the input. Civic is back up and running - minus the leaky filter.

5. Taco15

Taco15 I wear stretchy pants VIP

same here. except i drove that bish twice. It sucked cus it spilled masses amount when car was running. ohh well you learn as you go..oh and no damage was done :doh:

6. bunson2001

bunson2001 Member

whats double o-ringing?

7. VTECPOWER

VTECPOWER Senior Member

its when the O ring from the oil filter stays on the engine, then the new one is put on as well, therefore getting 2 O rings between the oil filter and engine

8. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

make sure you dip your finger in oil and run it around the new seal next tiem if you didn't

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted