DOH!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EGProject

YEEEEAAHHHHH
Okay, go to change my oil today. I drain it, remove the old filter, screw the new one on, tighten the drain nut.

I typically only tighten the filter as tight as I can by hand. Otherwise, it gets stuck on there, and its a b*tch to get back off. I did the oil change in my garage (which is heated - haha! NE winters can bite me) - but backed my car out brieftly so I could clean the garage, etc, etc.

Well, out to pick up pizza. Hop in the Civic, turn the key, fire it up. I hear an odd slurping and popping noise. I kill the engine.

Oh no.

I look down to see a massive puddle of oil all over the driveway. I push the car back in the garage, and then I have two massive puddles of oil to deal with.

F'in A.

I'm not sure what happened, but when I checked the filter to see if it was the culprit, I noticed it was lose. A lot lose than when I screwed it on. Did the cold outside make the fitting contract? Can it do that? What did I do wrong? Why does God hate me?

Well, needless to say, tomorow morning I'm gonna spend some time sweeping up Speedy-Dry, and changing my oil - again.

I hate the cold.

Originally posted by shortbusrebel07@Feb 25 2005, 11:26 PM
sounds like you "double O ringed" it. check the old filter to see if the the rubber O ring is still attached to it.
[post=466375]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

I did that once before myself :slap: But, like you, I found my mistake quickly and no damage was done.

Well, crawled under the car today, and lo-and behold - there were 2 O-rings on there... just as you guys suggested.

Thanks for the input. Civic is back up and running - minus the leaky filter.

Originally posted by tab+Feb 26 2005, 12:11 AM-->
shortbusrebel07
@Feb 25 2005, 11:26 PM
sounds like you "double O ringed" it. check the old filter to see if the the rubber O ring is still attached to it.
[post=466375]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

I did that once before myself :slap: But, like you, I found my mistake quickly and no damage was done.
[post=466395]Quoted post[/post]​

same here. except i drove that bish twice. It sucked cus it spilled masses amount when car was running. ohh well you learn as you go..oh and no damage was done :doh:

its when the O ring from the oil filter stays on the engine, then the new one is put on as well, therefore getting 2 O rings between the oil filter and engine

Back