1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dohc ecu on sohc

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by theB16tegguy, Nov 16, 2003.

1. theB16tegguy

theB16tegguy Senior Member

can i hook up a 1988-91 b16 ecu to a 1988-91 crx the only diffrence is one has two cams and the other has one so what im asking is how does the ecu know if there is one or two cams is there an extra sensor on the dohc if anybody can help in any way it would be appreciated. :D

2. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

they are completely different motors man. Would you run your microwave with the computer from the blender?

3. theB16tegguy

theB16tegguy Senior Member

IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT THERE DIFFRENT MOTORS THEY STILL BOTH HAVE THE SAME SENSORS WHAT WOULD THE ECU DO TO MAKE RUN DIFFRENTLY ON A D16. TELL ME WHAT????

"IF YOU EXPLAIN MORE ABOUT WHY IT WILL MAKE IT EASIER FOR PEOPLE TO BELIEVE YOU"

4. NoJokE

NoJokE Senior Member

wow you're an idiot, it does matter that they are different motors you tard.

Different compression, different fuel maps, DOHC vs. SOHC, it wont run right.

5. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

If you want proof of this theory come and test drive/listen to my 94 Ls runnin on a DX ECU.

6. NoJokE

NoJokE Senior Member

Who you talking to?

7. liquid00meth

uhh ok, yes sometimes it just so happens that the ECU can adjust enough to compensate for the differences in the motor.

did you ever thing that the calculations might be a bit different for a motor with completely different displacement? how about the differences in timing for a DOHC vs a SOHC. Or I don't know, maybe the fact that THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MOTORS.

It may work, but hey, there are alot of things that "can" work but aren't exactly the right thing to do. The SOHC ECU will have the wrong fuel and ignition curve for the motor. In stock map form, this is a fact, not debatable.

8. liquid00meth

yes it can work. is your motor running the way it should be? no. Why don't you go do 2 dyno pulls, one with the DX ECU, and the other with the LS ECU. Let me know how "perfect" that DX ECU is running your motor.

UNLESS you are running a piggyback computer or a reflash, in which case, you are right.. all the ECU is doing is relaying sensor data, it no longer holds the actual "tuning" of the engine.

no need to get your panties in a bunch, just trying to give you the right information chief.

9. 92civicb18b1

my bad, i was talkin to the b16guy, my ls runs like shit becasue of it. So if anyones got an ls ecu pm me.

10. 92civicb18b1

I'm not defending this jackass, I got an obd2 LS ecu instead of obd1 (curtosey of ebay).

11. liquid00meth

as was I man, sorry, I thought you were saying that if you want proof that it *works*

heh.

12. AllMotorMonster

AllMotorMonster Senior Member

Why don't you yell a little louder, I can't hear you.

13. radnulb

radnulb Senior Member

If you try to run a LS motor with a DX (P06) computer, it will not be happy. Just add a chip, and voila, the P06 computer can run a LS motor perfectly.

Likewise, a PR3 (or PW0) is intended for a DOHC B16A. I know ppl using them to run a D16Z6 nearly flawlessly AFTER CHIPPING THEM.

Remember, the chip defines how the motor will run as much as the ECU.

14. Tonyd0821

Tonyd0821 Banned

why would you run a dx ecu on a ls motor?

15. radnulb

radnulb Senior Member

because you have a DX ECU and the only difference between a DX and LS ECU is the chip running it?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted