DOHC or SOHC???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scottp11

The Seniorest Member....
Right now I have a D16Y8 in my 97 civic and I'm getting a B16 payday. I choose the B16 cuzz it puts out 160 hp compared to the 127 the D16 makes. I've been wondering what makes the DOHC motors put out so much more hp than the SOHC ones. Thanks for any information you could give me. :huh:

SOHC is single and DOHC is double :) which makes it much faster but its also heavier. might wanna look at turboing your fine d16 motor you could probly get it around 200hp with a nice turbo kit with the same amount of money to buy that b16a engine.

Two cams, more aggressive fuel map, higher compression, higher revs... there are a lot of reasons. You can mod your D16Y8 to make the same power as the B16 all-motor for less than the price of a swap if you really want to, but with a B16 swap you would have that much more headroom to make power later if you wanted to spend the cash.

You didn't answer my question... What is it that make it better? Are they more acturate? Why did honda decide to make a DOHC head then? I'm just trying to understand. Thanks. :huh:

the rod to stroke ratio is better in the DOHC engines which yeilds higher revs. Next, when you adjust the cam timing, you can retard one and advance the other cam where as in the SOHC engines, you either retard both, advance both, or just buy a new cam if you want a combination. Finally, out of the box, honda designed the SOHC engines as economy engines where the DOHC engines are there performance models. So as calesta said, the cams are more agressive, fuel maps are better, and the pistons are higher compression.

Next, tannys for the sohc engines suck. They have long gears, dont last a long time and grind like crazy. The big reason why I dont want to do a big NA build up on my d16z6 is because the trannys break fast (even though they are a dime a dozen compared to ITR and GSR trannys)

Man, thanks!!! You guys are great!!! Thanks again!!!

One more question about this... I know GM has a "quad four". How is that, in comparison to the Honda DOHC heads?
:blink:

are you talking about the quad cams in the c4 corvettes (not sure the exact model it was) Basicly it is a dohc for each bank of cylinders (like the NSX)

<(also knows very little about gm or any other domestics slang or nicknames so if I get the concept wrong, dont shot me)

The ZR-1 was the C4 with 4 cams in it. He's probably talking about the Oldsmobiles that were labeled "Quad 4" or something on the side. They might be quad cam engines also.

yeah, more than likely it is going to be a dohc on a v8 which in turn is 4 cams. Cobra's have this....

Milan

on the valve cover of grand ams it either says quad 4 or quad ohc and thats a straight 4 but whats the need for 4 cams in an inline engine?

Originally posted by seriot@Jul 22 2003, 09:21 PM
SOHC is single and DOHC is double :) which makes it much faster but its also heavier. might wanna look at turboing your fine d16 motor you could probly get it around 200hp with a nice turbo kit with the same amount of money to buy that b16a engine.

finally....someone whose mind has not been contaminated by the "b" series propaganda campaign

yes. you can boost your y8 (d16) motor for as little as 2000.00. maybe cheaper if you junkyard it...

and at stock boost, you will 0wn a (not sure about heavily (midly? never ran one YET) built...) b16 swap.

you poor SOHC suckers :p

B SERIES OWNS JOOOO!!!!!

(sorry, had to throw that in there)

Yeah, I was talking about the Oldsmobile Achieva. I saw one a few months ago and was curious what kind of potential the engine and the head has. Is the quad four any better than DOHC? I appriciate your time. Thank you.

yeah, some pontiacs and beretta's had that motor too... and let me tell you, what a piece of shit it is. lol

its not a 4 cam motor. its a dohc design with 4 valves per 4 cly's, so Qaud 4.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 24 2003, 12:49 AM
its not a 4 cam motor. its a dohc design with 4 valves per 4 cly's, so Qaud 4.

Wow, they're really breaking some new ground there!!! Who's EVER heard of 4 valves per cylinder?

Thanks for clearing that up for me! So, the engine doesn't really have too much potential to make alot of power. I know this is called "hondaswap.com" but any information is appriciated. Thank you.

Back