DOHC or SOHC???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by scottp11@Jul 24 2003, 01:20 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me! So, the engine doesn't really have too much potential to make alot of power. I know this is called "hondaswap.com" but any information is appriciated. Thank you.

It does- it's just not done quite as often, and it's not as easy as buying pre-made parts like you can for the B blocks.

Thanx, you guys have been a big help! I appriciate all the useful information.

On the Quad 4 topic, go to www.mantapart.com for a better look at the motors..... I've seen some buildups where they've put out impressive #'s, but the capabilities of a DOHC Honda motor are easier reached due to advanced technology and the wide availability of parts for them. The difference between the DOHC and SOHC was explained very well, I've seen horrible explanations before..... The adjustability of the cams is probably the biggest advantage it has, and as was said earlier, if you plan to make high HP #'s provided you have the cash to do so, the DOHC is a much better platform to build than is a Single cam.

Originally posted by scottp11@Jul 22 2003, 09:26 PM
You didn't answer my question... What is it that make it better? Are they more acturate? Why did honda decide to make a DOHC head then? I'm just trying to understand. Thanks. :huh:

What makes a DOHC better than a SOHC?

i can sum it up in a few short sentences.

Shops, and people can rape you up your tight little ass for a dohc engine and swap, all the while telling you that your y8 engine isnt worth a crap.

truth be known, most people who get into imports....id say AT LEAST 90% of them will NEVER see their car to 12 seconds or better.....

so why get a swap?

1) to impress your friends
2) you are under the mistaken impression that a swap alone will allow you to take out mustangs and camaros left and right (h-series swaps in a 2000lb STD civic aside... :lol: )
3) you think your y8/y7 isnt worth a crap.
4) you actually DO have the money and time to see the dohc swap into 12 second and beyond territory.

but if you are like the rest of the 90% of people out there who will never see 12 seconds with their swap...due to financial problems....due to lack of interest....
due to whatever....

why spend the money for one?

shell out 1600.00, buy a revhard, (well a TAD bit more for revhard....) or greddy kit, slap it on your y8, get ur hondata, get ur exhaust/cat done, get your boost controller, build up ur bottom end a tad

and smoke motherfuckers left and right in their swaps.....

But two cams ARE better than one. While it may cost less to turbo (notice I said MAY), it's damn near common sense that the tunabilty of two cams blows away the tunability of one cam. You can independently change the valve timing of the intake and exhaust cams, not to mention a DOHC engine will rev higher than a SOHC. Also, some people don't want the extra maintenance and tuning required to build and keep a turboed engine running correctly.

Not everyone swaps out their worthless SOHC's because it's cool....

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jul 29 2003, 03:51 PM
But two cams ARE better than one. While it may cost less to turbo (notice I said MAY), it's damn near common sense that the tunabilty of two cams blows away the tunability of one cam. You can independently change the valve timing of the intake and exhaust cams, not to mention a DOHC engine will rev higher than a SOHC. Also, some people don't want the extra maintenance and tuning required to build and keep a turboed engine running correctly.

Not everyone swaps out their worthless SOHC's because it's cool....

ok. i agree. to a point..........

but you must admit...swaps are becomming more and more common...
with the point being, that 90% of the guys who get swaps will never ever realize 12 seconds or better.

so why do it if you dont do it right?

boost your sohc, if ur not going to do it the right way and be happy with 13's.

Of course they're becoming more common, so are altezzas, big wings, and 19" wheels. People do it because they see it and think it's cool. Fuck, there's a kid in my town who's 18 and drives an Sti, because he thought it looked cool and his parents bought it for him. I did my swap because I was tired of spending money on my SOHC and didn't want to turbo. Plus, the F22 engines aren't very boost-friendly. I wanted some big numbers and something that was extremely streetable and didn't require alot of maintenance on my part.

also, not everyone likes to run their car down a dragstrip for fun. personally i think drag racing is quite boring. i like DOHC because of its NA power and responsivness.

Originally posted by B16@Jul 29 2003, 04:37 PM
also, not everyone likes to run their car down a dragstrip for fun. personally i think drag racing is quite boring. i like DOHC because of its NA power and responsivness.

:werd:

I agree with most of what karnash is saying in this thread... most of the people who swap will never see truly fast times on the drag strip. I guess swaps are the easy way to power, rather than digging inside the engine, bolting on a turbo, blah blah blah...

In reality, you're only getting a minor power and torque increase for quite a bit of power, but it saved you the trouble of having to do any real major work on the engine itself. If you're willing to take the time and trouble to go inside the D block, you'll have a much faster car for the money than you would if you spent the same amount of cash swapping your car.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jul 29 2003, 06:04 PM-->
@Jul 29 2003, 04:37 PM

...rather than digging inside the engine, bolting on a turbo, blah blah blah...

THATS THE FUN PART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont knock sohc engines cause I know some people that have fast ones. But turboing will kill your engine faster than a b16 stock in your car so while you have i/e/h with turbo and he has b16i/e/h/ if you both raged on your car and took it to the drag and all which we all do who is going to be towing there car home first and also like they said the trannys suck. I mean if we all want to get technical about the money to spend and how fast your gonna be go get a 75 shot in a sohc and the b16 or the tuboed sohc will never see the light of day on that. My buddie was breakin 13's with a 50 shot to a sohc. So it just depends I mean personally I would do dohc better parts last longer. But like karnash said if you dont have the money budget the money and do the turbo and if your really broke pull a 50 shot. :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Uh huh. A turbo setup that can just beat a B16 will last just as long as that imported junker B16. I'm not knocking on the B series guys (since I am one), but don't get the idea that strapping a turbo on your engine all of a sudden gives it a death sentence.

<-- Allmotor CRX, Exospeed head package and cam 13.6@99mph stock block. D16A6

<-- Allmotor Full interior 91 H/B, Exospeed head package and high compression A6 block(not sleeved) 12.89@ 105mph

Both daily driven.

SOHC... Why? because its fun. :)

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 29 2003, 10:22 PM
Uh huh. A turbo setup that can just beat a B16 will last just as long as that imported junker B16.

well....it depends on the condition of the engine...

and how well you maintain the turbo and all the necessary maintenance needed to be done.

and sides, if your motor blows from you running too much boost, shell out 400 bucks and get a brand new y8.

cant do that with a b series motor....

then someone comes with a stock B18a or b16a swap swap with a small nitrous shot, or cheap turbo, and they rip ur balls off. To each his own, i think SOHC's are fun, but driving both:built sohc's and dohc's, id pick the dohc anyday.

ok, you guys need to get out more.

quad four= half of a v8. NOT an inline bank of four cylinders tho, GM thought they could be cool and cut the v8 the other way, so its setup like a box of four cylinders instead of an inline bank.

it came in lots of GM shit piles.

as far as DOHC versus SOHC-

1. Better valve angles(when the oxygen enters the cylinder it can have a much straighter and smoother path into the combustion chamber.)

2. you can advance and retard the intake and exhaust cams independantly.

3. the cams can have different grinds, so its also better than a twin cam motor.(with an N/A you want a little bit of exhaust overlap< that is nmot possible with a SOHC)

4. combustion chamber and valves can be bigger

thats about all i can think of now.

i thought Domestic VS. Import arguments were bad but this is turning into a good one...

i'm taking the political stance on this one, i agree with both sides equally. :p

Back