DOHC or SOHC ???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

elwalvador

If I had 2 engines both where 2.0 liter, 4-valve per cilynder, same compression ratio, but one was DOHC and the other was SOHC which would be faster on the 1/4 mile if everything on the car were EXCATLY the SAME piece for peice. such as tires, exhaust, both were 2-door preludes, same 5-speed tranny everything??? ok and when you answer not only say which is faster but why it is faster.

If all else is exactly the same, the DOHC, because the intake and exhaust cams can be tuned to make more power by more efficently flowing air through the motor.

you do know that alot of things can't be the same, like the tranny and such... i can only tell you the sohc's gonna be cheaper

OK so everything excatly the same, DOHC is faster at the 1/4 mile. COOL I wander why then Honda is making SOHC VTEC's in their new Civics, and some Accords. I thought Honda only delt in the business of DOHC to extract as much power as possible from a little engine.

Honda makes economy cars, that are emissions compliant, only "sport" models get the power motors, the D16Z6, D15B, and other upper models are emissions friendly yet "peppy" motors.

:werd:

Honda does not make performance cars for the most part... they make economy cars that people think are performance cars.

:withstupid: That is a great quote. New signature material.

Originally posted by elwalvador@Jun 3 2004, 04:02 PM
wander why then Honda is making SOHC VTEC's in their new Civics, and some Accords.

"market research" indicates that the american public wants a cheap reliable car that is semi fuel efficient. this is why honda makes sohc engines in america. im sure it also has something to do with the strict emissions laws.

if you want "fast out the box" in a honda buy an s2000.

if you want something faster, but a gt mustang and take the rest of the money you saved by not buying the s2000 and drop it on performance parts, and walk s2000's all day long.

if i ever get another performance car....it is NOT going to be a honda.

Mustangs SUCK.... well not all of them. First, let me be the first to shine a light on honda's economical side. SOHC's use nearly half the parts to manufacture the cylinder head. SOHC's are therefore cheaper to build, more cost efficient to maintain and generally easier to work on. So honda not only saves money on the manufacturing of SOHC motors, but also can save money on payroll on their technicians, because they can get more work done in the shop than if all of the honda motors were DOHC. Honestly, how many people here would say that DOHC motors are as easy to work on as SOHC?

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 3 2004, 07:56 PM
:lmao: That's like.... the 10th time I've been quoted for someone's signature on this board.

you are like Confucius, only you aren't fat.

Back