DOHC or SOHC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blackice90HB

well, the SOHC ZC is $390 on hmo, DOHC ZC is $525. im getting a SI transmission locally, so im not counting price of tranny.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
88-91 SOHC ZC longblock
120Hp 100Trq 9.1 compression (JDM)
$ 390.00 Plus shipping and handling

what do you guys think/why?

Which Si tranny are you getting? SOHC or DOHC? I would go with the engine that matches your tranny...

DOHC hands down. More tune able because of the dual cams. I have a DOHC ZC in my 91 CRX and love it. Check out www.thezcr.com for more ZC info. Good luck.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 29 2005, 08:55 PM
DOHC
[post=518438]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: Can't go wrong with a DOHC motor. Much better starting platform with the ability to get more overall HP than from a SOHC unless you plan on boosting the hell out of it. I would definitely go with the DOHC ZC.

Originally posted by scottp11@Jun 29 2005, 11:30 PM
Which Si tranny are you getting? SOHC or DOHC? I would go with the engine that matches your tranny...
[post=518424]Quoted post[/post]​

:ditto:

Originally posted by 2fastaccord+Jun 30 2005, 03:08 PM-->
blackice90HB
@Jun 30 2005, 04:44 PM
88-91 si tranny
[post=518813]Quoted post[/post]​

Regardless to tranny the DOHC is the better motor.
[post=518832]Quoted post[/post]​

why? because it has 2 cams?

i would say base your decision on what your plans are with the motor. if you are looking for a serious build, i would go with the sohc. try finding an aftermarket IM for the ZC...not gonna happen. your choice in aftermarket cams is extremely limited also. internals are no prob, because the sohc and dohc are interchangeable, but there are several variables to consider. but if you are just looking for a bolt-in and go motor, go with the dohc zc, more base horsepower for minimal money. just makes sense.

Originally posted by scottp11@Jun 30 2005, 12:30 AM
Which Si tranny are you getting? SOHC or DOHC?
I would go with the engine that matches your tranny...
[post=518424]Quoted post[/post]​

That makes no sense. <_< What other transmission would you use? Your choices are limited. :wtf:

Both of those engines will bolt up with the 88-91 Si tranny!
:bonk:

As for which motor to go with,Go with the DOHC Zc motor.

Yes the a6 crx/civic si tranny will. All civic d series engines from that generation will bolt to any d series tranny of that generation. Also all 5th and 6th gen civic d series engines will bolt to the 4th gen tranny. Please read some swap articles.

I would have to say DOHC also. A friend of mine has a DOHC ZC in a 91 crx also and it was pretty damn quick and in my opinion it looks so much better in the engine bay than a SOHC.

Buy the SOHC.. Use the money saved to put toward a VTEC head.. DUH.

How much are you paying for the Si trans, and where are you?? I have a ZC trans sitting here.. a real, JDM, ZC, Drool if that makes you drool, Trans. With the half shaft. All you will need is some axles. I would be willing to let it go for say.... one Millliioonnnn dollllarz...... Obo..

It is closer ratio than the Si, much better in my opinion. I'm thinking about putting the Si final drive in the ZC... It would be the best D-series trans you can get... Hrmmmm...

ah well, I'll quit thread jackin ya.

the sohc's not vtec? ohh..... well which cyl head options will i have? the dohc head cant be swapped with the single slammer motor can it?

How much are you paying for the Si trans, and where are you?? I have a ZC trans sitting here.. a real, JDM, ZC, Drool if that makes you drool, Trans. With the half shaft. All you will need is some axles.

im in pensacola florida. i can get a si trans from the junkyard for >100. it depends on the scrap yard. you best belive im drooling like a hungry dog at a bar-b-que :beer: what axles will i need, 1990 teggy axles? i could pick some of those up at the yard for like 40, in the event i can find one. how much are you looking for the tranny? keep in mind i wont be getting the motor/trans untill later this year.

BTW, which OBD ecu will i need to use? at this point i dont really care if i have vtec or not, you dont have to have vtec to go fast. i've been in a few non-vtec hondas that were pretty fast.

I would do 92-95 SOHC vtec, there are more parts out there for it then a DOHC ZC. I have that in my 90 rex and its sweet. I saw Honda tunning do it about 2yrs ago on Budget Boost and decide to do it. Heres a link to get you started:
88-91 Swap

Originally posted by blackice90HB@Aug 1 2005, 09:14 PM
cool, thanks for the link. i'll def. look into that. was it difficult switch obd0 to obd1?
[post=534256]Quoted post[/post]​

link doesn't work..........

Back