DOHC or SOHC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i think i wanna stay w/ obd 0 though. lately i have been leaning more towards the DOHC ZC, but only because its DOHC. i want something that also just bolts right in- no new mounts or any thing. i plan on using a 1991 Civic/CRX Si 5spd. transmission.
i would look at the other link you posted but my computer it being its usually sucky self. i'll have to wait till monday at school to use a real computer.

i/m looking to get the DOHC motor off of hmo. if you any reasons i should get something other than the DOHC ZC, like cost to performance reasons, or overall performance reasons. im going to use my std manifold for a turbo manifold with a t25 from a 1g eclipse. what size injectors and what ecu/tuning program should i use? it will basically be stock w/ a turbo till i can redo the head.

use the DSM 450cc injectors and use either TurboEdit or BRE. Both of those programs can be found on pgmfi.org

ummm, actually with BRE you have to use the PR3 ECU I think or maybe the PW0..(I forgot if you can use it for nonvtec motors)...with turboedit, you cna use a PS9 or PM6 I think. do some research on both of these programs and find out which one would be ideal to use with your engine. I was unalbe to use turboedit with me B16, bc its not good for VTec engines, so I was able to use BRE with my PR# ecu that I already had! :)

well, i've decided to save for a dohc zc. im either gonna use a pg6, pm6, or pr2. im leaning towards the pg6. still plan on running a 90-91 Si tranny.

Stage two will be installing a 1st gen eclipse turbo (t25) to my modified STD manifold, DSM 450cc injectors, Starion intercooler (or one of similar size), and cams (suggestions anyone?). after i finish my body work (dent removal and a few coats of 1988 Honda Gothic Gray), i'll be saving for the motor and new tranny. my goal is to have all this done by november. thank for all the feedback, as i most likely will have more questions in the future.

I dont think tehre is any aftermarket support for the ZC motors. You have to get regrinds for teh cams.

Originally posted by ryan89crx@Jul 4 2005, 03:35 PM
i would say base your decision on what your plans are with the motor. if you are looking for a serious build, i would go with the sohc. try finding an aftermarket IM for the ZC...not gonna happen.

i beg to differ - here is ours with TWM intake manifold:

wOTY4MjM2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

JG Engine Dynamics also makes intake manifolds for the ZC

well an intake manifold isnt exactly a power making mod. I'm talking about finding cams, pistons, etc that you can use to gain some decent power.

btw: I love ITBs :)

Originally posted by B16CRX@Aug 19 2005, 07:19 AM
well an intake manifold isnt exactly a power making mod. I'm talking about finding cams, pistons, etc that you can use to gain some decent power.

[post=542296]Quoted post[/post]​

aftermarket pistons and rods for DOHC ZC are the same as for any D16 - camshafts are available, both new and regrinds - we have new Crespo stage 4s - anything you can buy for a SOHC D-series engine is available for the DOHC ZC

btw - they are Weber carburetors

Originally posted by jlicrx+Aug 19 2005, 08:53 AM-->
@Aug 19 2005, 07:19 AM

[post=542296]Quoted post[/post]​

aftermarket pistons and rods for DOHC ZC are the same as for any D16 - camshafts are available, both new and regrinds - we have new Crespo stage 4s - anything you can buy for a SOHC D-series engine is available for the DOHC ZC

btw - they are Weber carburetors
[post=542317]Quoted post[/post]​

well, kickass then. I always heard there wasnt much aftermarket support for them... :worthy:

even in the event that there isn't alot of aftermarket support for the ZC, stuff can always be fabricated. jliCRX, can you post a site w/ some zc parts info? again thanks for all the tech info.

Well this past weekend I drop a DOHC ZC into my 1989 CRX SI runs good! ITBS are cool and add some good power but how much would that cost? You be better off going boost on a DOHC ZC. Those are my furture plans.

hey yall, some things have come up, i gotta get this thing done by the 2nd week of december. i know that should have been plenty of time to get 600 bucks, but im trying to get wheels and suspension at the same time. im just gonna swap a a6 head and ecu, eventually the tranny too, but for now im not concentrating on having a blazing fast car, just one with decent gas milage and reasonable accelaration (and 4 injectors :D ).

im really concentrating on a really good handling daily driver. but this thing is acting wierd, before it wouldnt start at all and threw a code 16. it was like that since the last week of july, and i've been attempting to start it once a week since then, it wouldnt start, just keep cranking then stop. today it started right up perfectly on the first try and was running smooth as glass. i even drove it around the block and it ran perfectly, shifted smooth, everything. i even stalled it once on taking of and it still started back up, and 7 times afterwards and again 30 minutes ago. it still is throwing that code 16 while im driving around (i had the carpet back so i could see the light on the ecu). so what in the world is going on?

BTW-any advice on swapping the a6 head, or any better suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i am doing this as my senior project which i was just told 2 days ago is due in the 2nd week of dec. All of us seniors were under the assumption that we had untill april. yeah, thats really ghey.

Originally posted by jlicrx+Aug 17 2005, 06:48 PM-->
ryan89crx
@Jul 4 2005, 03:35 PM
i would say base your decision on what your plans are with the motor. if you are looking for a serious build, i would go with the sohc. try finding an aftermarket IM for the ZC...not gonna happen.

i beg to differ - here is ours with TWM intake manifold:

wOTY4MjM2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

JG Engine Dynamics also makes intake manifolds for the ZC
[post=541549]Quoted post[/post]​

this i did not know. thanks for the correction. do you happen to have a link for either of those manis?

Originally posted by blackice90HB@Sep 9 2005, 09:33 PM
hey yall, some things have come up, i gotta get this thing done by the 2nd week of december. i know that should have been plenty of time to get 600 bucks, but im trying to get wheels and suspension at the same time. im just gonna swap a a6 head and ecu, eventually the tranny too, but for now im not concentrating on having a blazing fast car, just one with decent gas milage and reasonable accelaration (and 4 injectors :D ).

im really concentrating on a really good handling daily driver. but this thing is acting wierd, before it wouldnt start at all and threw a code 16. it was like that since the last week of july, and i've been attempting to start it once a week since then, it wouldnt start, just keep cranking then stop. today it started right up perfectly on the first try and was running smooth as glass. i even drove it around the block and it ran perfectly, shifted smooth, everything. i even stalled it once on taking of and it still started back up, and 7 times afterwards and again 30 minutes ago. it still is throwing that code 16 while im driving around (i had the carpet back so i could see the light on the ecu). so what in the world is going on?

BTW-any advice on swapping the a6 head, or any better suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i am doing this as my senior project which i was just told 2 days ago is due in the 2nd week of dec. All of us seniors were under the assumption that we had untill april. yeah, thats really ghey.
[post=552162]Quoted post[/post]​

Code 16 is your injectors.

try relinking those again.... i think the whole link didnt get pasted

thanks in advance.

BTW, when i go about converting to MPFI, instead of swapping a Si head, should i swap just the intake manifold and then use the Si cam? i have a 16v Std., not a hf so i was thinking it would work. what new stuff will i need- throttle cable, TPS, injectors (suggestions?), ect.?

Back