DOHc Vs SOHC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mark80

Hey guys, Ive tried searching a few websites and forums but keep getting conflicting advice. Im trying to find out the differences between the DOHC and SOHC. I know DOHC is 2 cams and SOHC is one, some like the SOHC and some the DOHC but whats the better engine? Each good for different purposes? Obviously to my Noob mind the DOHC sounds better but some people rave about the SOHC. Rather general question I know but just interested. Thanks

sohc is cheaper and easier to replace, but in the end, for drag apps your going to want a B series engine (assuming you have a civic) Ive seen B-series with over 1000 HP. I dont think ive seen a D make past 600 and then it takes just as much work as the 1k HP B.

It all depends on what you want to do, how much you want to spend, and how much work you want to do.

for economy d-series are great. 45-50mpg is not out of the question, and with diffrent OEM and aftermarket parts, you can make a pretty quick engine for not alot of money. Other good points are d-series are about 100lbs lighter.

However, out of the box, b-series are much better. To build up a naturally asperated d-series, your pretty much going to end up at about the same numbers as a stock b-series.

if you have a good d series engine use it and abuse it with a swap in mind in the future. If you have a crapped out dseries burning oil go for a dohc.
general rule is, d series are cheaper and build less power.
B series are better for high hp apps.

H series are for "tha Balla'z"

K series are the best they get although the most expensive. and you can source a 2.4 liter block from a tsx and have everything a built b16 would have.

basically, you need to find what your going to do with a motor, do you want a bazillion hp for a drag racer or just a few for your Daily driver. i personally don't need alot of hp, i have a very light eg hatch and my stocker 1.5 sohc does just fine, i can pretty much keep up with most stock preludes and still maintain 38-42 mpg, so not to bad. i'd like to further my hp by a bit. but not wanting to spend that kind of money on a b. i can super charge a JDM 1.5 sohc w/ vtec with a bit of tweeking and get as much hp as a gsr motor (its was what i initially looked at) but it will save me 500 to 700 bucks in the end. plus its a little lighter. but in the end. i don't want a huge motor because it is my daily D, plus i like to save some gas :)

either way, everyone has their own opinion. Dohc is the best for high HP, and sohc is best for moderate HP and a good dailyD. i hope this was useful

~Ryan

Back