dohc vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gumbalia420

i got a zc dohc 1.6 and am putting it in my 90 rex, i beleive it is a vtec, but how do i read the stamp on the engine to know exactly what i have? can anyone help me with this issue! Thank you for any info!

there are no DOHC ZC engines that are VTEC - all ZC engines just say 'ZC' on the block - if the engine serial number below the 'ZC' begins with a '2', the engine is from 88-91 JDM CRX/Civic Si model, OBD0 - if it begins with a '3', it is from 92-95 JDM Civic, various models, OBD1

ZCident.jpg

dohc vtec

so if there are no dohc vtec's then what are the two wires hanging off the motor for? i believe it is coming out of a box that says vtec? and its a zc 2043517! Thanks again!

the part that you are describing is the CYLinder Position Sensor which is located on the end of the exhaust camshaft on the OBD0 DOHC ZC - it doesn't say VTEC on it, it says TEC which is the manufacturer's logo (Toyo Engineering Corp.) - on the SOHC engines, the CYLinder sensor is inside the distributor, but on the OBD0 DOHC D-series engines, it is on the end of the exhaust camshaft - the sensor looks like this

dutch6-5.jpg

if your car is the DX model and you are converting it from DPFI to MPFI, two of the wires that need to be added from the ECU to the engine are for the CYLinder Sensor

Last edited:
dohc vtec

ok, it is going into a dx but, i did a swapbefore to a sohc zc d16a? so will it already be wired for that, i know we added two more wires to the dizzy? from a five wire to a seven wire! will i still need to add more wires or is it going to work? Thanks for all your help! hows colo? i moved to florida from ft collins three years ago, and man do i miss that place!!

ok, it is going into a dx but, i did a swapbefore to a sohc zc d16a? so will it already be wired for that, i know we added two more wires to the dizzy? from a five wire to a seven wire! will i still need to add more wires or is it going to work? Thanks for all your help! hows colo? i moved to florida from ft collins three years ago, and man do i miss that place!!
you just need to take the 2 wires that you added before and cut them/depin them or whatever and extend them to the CYLinder sensor - the one that goes to the blue/yellow on the distributor goes to the blue/yellow on the green plug on the CYL sensor and the one to the blue/green on the distributor goes to the blue/green on the CYL sensor

zc engines

I going to buy a ZC doch and the ZC in the block where in said the name of the engine and serial number the engine does not have anything written in there I can buy the engine or not?

I going to buy a ZC doch and the ZC in the block where in said the name of the engine and serial number the engine does not have anything written in there I can buy the engine or not?
could be the 84-87 DOHC ZC from 1st gen JDM CRX Si and 3rd gen JDM Civic Si - they do not have the I.D. on the front of the block - it is on the top rear of the block just above the starter hole - looks like this: (notice the block number just below the I.D. number - it is PG6 - the 88-95 is PM7)

brownZCident.jpg

the 84-87 DOHC ZC has a valve cover with the 4 attaching bolts in the center, like this:

D16A1valvecover.jpg

the 88-95 DOHC ZC has a valve cover with the 4 attaching bolts on the outside edges, like this:

zccover-2.jpg

the 84-87 DOHC ZC will not bolt into the 2nd gen CRX and 4th gen Civic as it has different mounts - the driver's side mount is on the front side of the engine, not on the end of the block - the 84-87 also used a vacuum advance ignition distributor instead of the electronic ignition advance

86-87 Integra DOHC D16A1 engines look very similar to the 84-87 JDM DOHC ZC, but they are not the same

Last edited:
Back