DOHC zc doesn't start, cant find replacement distributor that fits

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Emoney33

swapped a jdm zc motor into 1991 crx si......The car ran for about a month.....not daily driven though.......the car wouldn't start.....someone suggested that i get a new distributor and try that......well i have bought 3 new distributors...aTdo3 doesn't fit other one i bought wont seat correctly on the mount....none which fit..........car has been sitting along time now...and really need to do something with it asap....

So if anyone has any helpful info PLEASE help me out.....

I could be wrong but i think you need a 1st gen integra distributor. If you have a sensor on your exhaust camshaft then you need a 86-87 integra one, If theres no sensor on the exhaust camshalf you need a 88-89 one. Do some more homework on this though. The only zc's i have experience with are the ones that look like the d16a1 s. All dohc zc's use a d16a1 head gasket though. FYI

Have you tried changing out the ignitor on the old original distirbutor yet??

I could be wrong but i think you need a 1st gen integra distributor. If you have a sensor on your exhaust camshaft then you need a 86-87 integra one, If theres no sensor on the exhaust camshalf you need a 88-89 one. Do some more homework on this though. The only zc's i have experience with are the ones that look like the d16a1 s. All dohc zc's use a d16a1 head gasket though. FYI

Have you tried changing out the ignitor on the old original distirbutor yet??
not quite correct - 86-87 Integras used a vacuum advance distributor and won't even come close to bolting onto the 88-91 JDM DOHC ZC - the distributor you need is from 88-89 Integra D16A1 - all 86-89 Integras have the cylinder sensor on the exhaust camshaft - not the same sensor, but in the same location

not quite correct - 86-87 Integras used a vacuum advance distributor and won't even come close to bolting onto the 88-91 JDM DOHC ZC - the distributor you need is from 88-89 Integra D16A1 - all 86-89 Integras have the cylinder sensor on the exhaust camshaft - not the same sensor, but in the same location

Ive seen zc's that didnt have that exhaust cam sensor though....what distributor would you use on those???

Like this one....

ae31_1.JPG

Then you have this one

ZC_engine_jdm.jpg

IMG_2078.JPG

Then the D16a1...Black top

So do they all use the same distributor or what??? Id like to know to.

Last edited:
the ZC in the top picture without the cylinder sensor on the exhaust camshaft is the 92-up OBD1 DOHC ZC which has the cylinder sensor in the distributor - the distributor for it is a TD43U which was only used on the OBD1 ZC - the rest that you have pictured all use the same distributor which is TD03U same as 88-89 Integra

this is the 86-87 Integra D16A1 which uses the vacuum advance distributor
87integraD16A1.jpg

this is the JDM 84-87 "browntop" DOHC ZC from the 84-87 JDM CRX/Civic Si which is pretty much like the 86-87 Integra
brownzc.jpg

this shows the difference between the 86-87 and 88-89 D16A1 heads where the distributor and cylinder sensor bolts on - the picture says crank angle sensor but that is not correct - it is the Cylinder sensor
1gtegheads-1.jpg

Last edited:
So which distributor would you need for the zc without the ex cam sensor??

what car is the motor from????thats the same car you want to buy parts for...

The problem with this is the motors that are only released in cars that are in Japan make it difficult to source parts, half of the dinks in the part stores will say a z what. I just finished going through this, luckily I got to talk with a mechanic at Honda that actually was familiar with these motors. Otherwise sites like this are your best resort.

You most likely need the distributer from the 88-89 integra . Look at your block just above your header it should tell you the year of the motor.

i have been in touch with this guy on another forum - his problem was that he bought an Si car with the ZC swap already in it and whoever did the swap, changed the connector on the distributor to the round Si connector instead of swapping the right connector onto the harness - this caused the problem that the Integra distributor was no longer plug and play and in order to change distributors, he would need to change the connector - he decided to get the distributor jumper connector for Si to ZC from Rywire, like this:

Rywire - Online Store

Last edited:
Back