dohc zc motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redef91

what up guys i want to put the dohc zc motor in my hatch just for a lil more hp for everday driving but i heard its alot of work to install the zc tranny as well. i heard the gearing is excellant accept for the final drive. can someone explain with final drive will come into play. i heard this tranny had very close gear ratio which is good cuz i live in boston and i need the fast accelration and si tranny r hard to come by here. what will i need to do to install the zc tranny.

The ZC transmission isn't hard to install at all. It bolts up to the engine just like any other cable D series transmission. You just have to have the intermediate that's specifically for the ZC, and you need to run 90-93 Integra axles with the dust seals removed from the outer cups on the axles and from the spindles on your car. Make sure you use DX/LX/EX/Si spindles, and not the ones from an STD or HF.

The ZC transmission has the best 1-5 ratios in terms of spacing, but it has a tall final drive. The overall gearing is still very close to the Si transmission, so the final drive really isn't an issue if you want to be similar to the Si and have better 1-5 spacing. You can run the super short Si final drive, but the shorter 1-5 gears in the ZC transmission will rev you out really fast with a swapped final drive. Just run the ZC transmission as is, especially if you have no experience rebuilding transmissions. You'll be pretty happy.

The going price I normally see for one is about $75. Search around on eBay and Honda-Tech, or just Google it up. There are a few online engine stores that sell them. It should have come with your transmission too.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 3 2005, 12:31 AM
The going price I normally see for one is about $75. Search around on eBay and Honda-Tech, or just Google it up. There are a few online engine stores that sell them. It should have come with your transmission too.
[post=494336]Quoted post[/post]​

well im probaly going to order it from hmotorsonline anyways so.

I think I still have a ZC intermediate shaft that I can sell you, I would have to look to make sure I didn't throw it out.

Originally posted by redef91@May 2 2005, 09:00 PM
where can get intermidte shaft for the zc tranny and how muxh will it run me
[post=494287]Quoted post[/post]​

intermediate shaft from 4WD Civic wagon will also work - in your area, you can get one from:

Burlington Auto Parts USA-MA(Shirley) 1-800-228-5544 - $75

Originally posted by jlicrx@May 3 2005, 11:47 AM
intermediate shaft from 4WD Civic wagon will also work - in your area, you can get one from:
[post=494483]Quoted post[/post]​

Are you sure? I have some buddies who thought it might work, then they tried it, then they said it for sure would NOT work.

Yeah Ive heard the same thing Calesta. Check out www.thezcr.com there are a few guys on that site that know every thing there is to know about the ZC motor.

Originally posted by Drake@May 5 2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah Ive heard the same thing Calesta. Check out www.thezcr.com there are a few guys on that site that know every thing there is to know about the ZC motor.
[post=495528]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, I've been all up and down The ZCR- there are like 2-3 guys who know what they're talking about, and a few that play at it really hard.

jlicrx here has some that comes from an engineer at Honda:

The half shaft for the ZC is the same as the one used on the '90-91 Civic Wagon 4WD 1600. The part # is 44500-SH9-010.

The axle seals for the ZC trans are the same as the ones used on the '90-93 Acura Integra. The part #'s are 91205-PL3-B01 (40 X 56 X 8) and 91205-PC9-711 (40 X 62 X 8)

I hope this helps.

Rich

Rich Hays
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Automotive Engineering

Neither of us knows how accurate this is. I had a friend who tried it and it didn't work though... if anything I'd like to have direct word from one of the engineers at Honda.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 5 2005, 08:35 PM
jlicrx here has some secondhand information that comes (we assume) from an engineer at Honda:

it wasn't secondhand - i actually received the email with this info direct from Honda America - i still am suspicious

What yr civic is this going into and what Zc is it,obd0 or obd1?

I have found three different ZC/DOHC D series halfshaft is my goings on in Europe. Now how much this relates, I can't tell, because I didn't always get to see the motor/car they came from. This is one reason I try not to sell ZC halfshafts without getting a pick of the back of the block first.

Back