DOHC ZC or B16 swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thewiz666

I was about to do a ZC swap w/LSD tranny for my 1990 CRX Si due to it's ease and low cost. The guy that is going to do it says it would cost me $1700 installed, but he then told me about doing a B16 w/ an LS tranny with LSD and have everything done for $3K, but I don't know as much about the VTEC stuff, nor anything at all about the Acura tranny. I believe that he said there was a brand new Phantom Grip (?) LSD in the tranny he guaranteed was good and functional, but I don't know a thing about that. What I'm getting at is this: Should I go with the ZC or the B16 with almost double the cost for the performance increase? I'm looking for it to be a daily driver, no drag racing or track stuff, have it for snow/ice, inclement weather, etc., but have enough power to merge w/ traffic/keep from getting punked/run from the cops, etc... I've done enough research to know that having a ZC motor is a special thing, that comes with the need for 'special' parts and could be a real headache later down the road if I don't remember to specify them when replacing things, but I have no knowledge about VTEC and the B16. I need to have my decision by late tomorrow or early Tuesday so I don't lose out on the ZC availability if that's the decision made. Any and all suggestions or advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

If you have $3,000 to spend, get the B16. They are pretty powerful and you have many options on parts. I on the other hand, just bought a DOHC ZC a couple of weeks ago becuase it was easy to put in. The ZC is definatley a big upgrade from your stock motor.

I'd go with the b16, but where are you located $3000 for a 1st gen b16 seems kinda high. I got my b16 with tranny and ecu installed for $1900.

I'm in the Kansas City area. Suburb east of there actually. I could get $3K, but I too thought that it should have the right tranny. I definitely need LSD though, which is my main concern, and A/C is required as well. Perhaps I can find a better package and have this guy install it? Dunno...

Go read my replies to your thread on Civicland. No need to type twice.

:lol:

I spoke again with the guy earlier this evening, and he suggested a 3rd possiblilty that he hadn't thought of before. He indicated to me that for what I was looking for, that I could go with a B18a out of a 93 Integra LS to go with the tranny and that it would have more capability than a ZC but not the price of the VTEC B16. I'm assuming that with that plan, it would use the previously mentioned LS tranny with the 'LSD' in it. I'm pretty much against that type of LSD, but I was wanting to get a feel from others about this motor. Again, all responses are welcome.

Go with the B16 or LS, both good for boost, but the LS even more. And later on if you don't want boost but more power, you could go LS/VTEC.

Back