DOHC ZC Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jfields0622

Ok, so heres the deal I did a 92 DOHC zc swap in my 1990 dx hatchback. And, she purrs like a kitten. I only have one error code on the PR4 ecu I'm running which is a code 10, or the intake air temp. I just gotta figure out where its at. But now to the real problem

Yes she purrs like a kitten, and has 180 psi compression on all 4 cylinders. But she is sending white smoke out the exhaust like there ain't no tomorrow. My neighbors thought the car was on fire.

Any ideas?

White is steam, or coolant
Blueish white is oil

Either way, It could be a number of things, bad head gasket, leaky valve seals, etc.. Tough to tell with the compression being fine.. Is it steam or smoke?

Well its thick white smoke that hangs around for a couple of seconds. I changed my valve steam seals. And I noticed two very small oil leaks either coming from the sides of the headers or the corners of the head. Trying to figure out which. And I also noticed that the car gets hot really fast, the fan stays on pretty much constantly

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got oil and antifreeze mixing, then burning it and sending out the back. Check your head gasket- you probably aren't sealing too well.

Thats whats throwing me off to, every headgasket problem I've ever had, the compression has always dropped. I thought maybe the piston rings, but if thats the case, I woiuld think the compression would be lower in certain cylinders. My compression is literally 180 psi on every cylinder. I"m going to rip the head off today. It needs to be done anyway if I'm leaking oil, anybody know how to check the rings once the head is of.

And if I have antifreeze mixing, then if I drain the oil should the antifreeze come out first.

I'm going to fix whatever is wrong with her, she sounds wicked... and quieter than my stock engine.

Back